Got a bogus phone call

GoldenMotor.com

recumbentbill

Jul 5, 2009
millington tn
Hi fellow MBers hangin in the Tavern.Check this out. A good friend / room mate of mine recieved a phone call this eve from a so called police officer. My friend is 84 and can get rattled very easily. The caller claimed that they[police dept] had a juvinile in custody 'They said the juv had several credit cards and one was issued to my friend. The slick officer wanted my friend to read him his credit card #ber so they[police dept] could process the young man. When my legally blind and hearing impaired friend wanted me to accomodate the officer I took charge and put a end to the scum that was trying to rip off a senior . What a bunch of bull ----.Some people will try anything. Sad thing about it is if I were not in ear shot of this attempt my friend would most likely gone along with the imposters request. Just to dot my i's cross my T's I called the police dept and was told this was a scam . PS the caller had a private number. Its a jungle out there

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Good move, Bill!

In this day and age, you can't afford to not be cynical. One of the most effective tactics today taken by hackers is "social engineering". What you dealt with was a simple version of it. The more extreme versions involve a very patient person gaining your trust over time and then using any information gleaned from conversations against you to steal anything they can - maybe even your identity.

Crazy world we live in.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
A new scam going around is the termination fee for the so called yellow page sites for small businesses. They call and want you to pay a fifty dollar fee to terminate your yellow page advertisement. Of course in my case I never ordered one anyway.., LoL but some guy will pay the fee rather than risk his credit. Im 66 and the business has been closed for ten years. I don't think I have anything to lose no matter what they do. Unless they can come shoot me for refusing to pay or even talk to them again.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Watch out for this one too:
Someone (scumbag) calls and says that one of your bank accounts has been frozen due to suspicious activity on it. They already have your bank's name and want you to "confirm" your account number/s so they can "clear up the problem". You know the rest.
People, especially elderly folks provide the requested information and... :(
With the technology available today these creeps should be easily caught. The problem? The telephone service providers don't want to spend the time (money) to track down the perps. Complaining to them falls of deaf ears. The Federal Trade Commission is trying but they are hampered by the telephone companies who will not cooperate because it costs them money to do it.
If you get a call from your "bank", hang up and call them yourself. That way you'll know who you're talking to.
Just a little common sense will go a long way toward protecting you and your finances from the scum-of-the-earth that is out there today.
Tom

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
Google the phone number, you'll be shocked.

My wife and I have been getting calls from Kingston, Jamaica. for over a month now.
The guy tells me that my wife entered a drawing at WalMart and won 3.5 million dollars, after rejecting his claim for about three weeks, I had ask the guy to send me a copy of the entry form that my wife supposably signed, he tells me that his e-mail is broken, I said BS, how do you brake e-mail, he was very persistent, but I'm no fool.

I Love Google

I googled the number 876-416-7700 and guess what?

Scams Based in Area Codes 809, 284 and 876

I called the FBI in Indianapolis and reported the calls along with the number and a recording of the call........Guess what......No more calls... rotfl

Last edited: