Im stuck!

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
HB, is the wheel mounted on the bike, or are you trying to spin the sprocket with the wheel off, as your photo shows? That sprocket will not turn. That's how it drives the wheel. If the wheel doesn't turn with it mounted in the bike frame, you've probably tightened the cone nuts too tight. They adjust how much bearing preload you have. Loosen the inner nuts just a little and see if the wheel spins when it is mounted in the bike. If it does then snug them up until you have no wobble in the bearings, no more, no less, then tighten the outer nuts that are on the outside of the frame while holding the inner nuts so they don't tighten along with them. You'll need a cone wrench to make this easier because they are made thin enough to fit between the frame and the hub. Get back to us with what you find.
Tom

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
Im almost at the quiting point, it seems like when I finally solve a problem another one comes up. I finally was able to put the coaster brake back together properly, but I think I bent he coaster alittle too much now I cant mount it anywhere. Second I have no clearance between the chain and frame and then when I try to fit the motor its missing about two inches so that it can mount to the frame, and when it will mount it looks like the chain maybe hitting the frame. Should I just give up and hand it over to someone that know what the **** they are doing?:-||

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Look at it this way..."Now you know what doesn't work". If that's the way the sprocket needs to go to gain clearance from the tire you can add some washers on the axle to spread the drop outs. That should move the frame away from the chain.

Last edited:

craisin

Nov 27, 2009
New Zealand
Plain and simple it looks the wrong way round you dont want to end up with the wheel off-centre in the bike as it will zap power because the wheels will be on different lines and it will be a dog to ride

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
I fixed this problem but adding about 5 spacers, and custom fabricated a thin U hook to hold the coaster brake in place. I got the clearance I need and its good to go, now to move onto the next problem. My muffler is hanging way way too low, and im looking at other pictures and notice that my muffler is longer. I ordered my kit from a BikeBerry and im not sure if I got screwed and stuck with a long muffler or are my eyes playing tricks on me as I have never seen one of these kits put together. Last but not least (for now) is the motor mount can't figure out what to do.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
have you looked at mine? http://motorbicycling.com/f26/how-i-made-extended-front-motor-13429.html

it'd work the same with a schwinn, and it's pretty easy.

after i read your post, i went outside for the heck of it and checked to see if all my motor mounts were still tight. and they are.

i tightened them up after my first ride ever, and never touched them again. it's been, i dunno, a few months now, and a lot of miles, with no problems at all.