Hub and sprocket adapters

GoldenMotor.com

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I was able to get the kit sproket pretty close to center but just not perfect. I am very interested in the hub/sproket kits I've seen in the ads here. Is manic mechanic still open for business? My problem is I have a shimano FH M510 hub, much smaller than the coaster brake hubs that pirate cycles offers hubs for. My measurement is approx 1.187. Man if i could build parts out of wood I'd be set! I just dont have the needed tools for metal......hmmmmmm.crt.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Jim is still working his magic, I am waiting on a 72 tooth and adapter for my EZM powered stretch...
I have found the best way to contact him is through the phone
(727) 768-9510
:)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Blue,
Check here> MANIC Mechanic Parts.htm
If you order an adapter you'll need EXACT measurments of your hub diameter. They are made to fit the hub precisely. If you run your bike prior to getting the adapter that rear sprocket needs to be perfectly centered on the hub; in-the-ballpark, won't work. You'll be throwing the chain. Keep working to get the concentricity right.
Tom

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I must be really close to perfect on the sprocket/rag joint as i have never thrown the chain and I have about a 120 miles on it already. I do notice how ever that the chain gets a little tighter in one spot when i rotate the sprocket. I like the hub adapter especially to be able to change ratios so much easier. The rag joint was the biggest pain of the whole process. I will call Manic tomorrow for sure. What is the spoke flange measurement asked for? I also googled my hub and got every spec on the hub but the diameter of the hub center itself! I'm not sure if i trust my caliper to .002 as I have to convert from 32nds.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
the spoke flange diameter is so the bolt pattern for the sproket bolts will clear the cross of the spokes :)
I am using a heavy duty coaster with 12ga spokes, so I needed a bigger bolt pattern, to make up for the thickness of the spokes :)
the occ has a large spoke flange as well

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
the spoke flange diameter is so the bolt pattern for the sproket bolts will clear the cross of the spokes :)
I am using a heavy duty coaster with 12ga spokes, so I needed a bigger bolt pattern, to make up for the thickness of the spokes :)
the occ has a large spoke flange as well

So the measurement they are looking for is the outside diameter of the spoke mounting flange on the left side of the hub. I will have to ride over to my father inlaws to borrow a good dial caliper to get the measurements asap! My sons engine kit arrives on Wed so I will need to order for both bikes for sure! Thanks for your help Bill. I looked at your site and the bikes you have built there are beautiful to say the least! I am seriously considering a cruiser frame build after my sons mountain bike, he thinks they look silly and are for old folks. I am not getting any younger and I am so hooked! I spent my evening making a custom rear engine mount with some 1/4 in aluminum i got from the scrap yard today. I see many evenings under the halogens in my future!

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
You need the diameter of the hub that the adapter clamps onto. That would be the part between the spokes. I'm not sure if the spoke flange diameter is important or not. If he changes that dimension then he has to change the sprocket to match it. Good luck figuring this out!

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question... but... 2door... are you the manic mechanic guy? I am unaware? I placed an order for a sproket adapter / sprocket / motor mount. For the sprocket adapter I just selected "Cranbrook" for the size... was this enough or do I still have to measure it? I thought maybe that selection implied all cranbrooks are the same measurement! Thanks -Jason-