Question for the high milers

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I have 200 miles on my bike so far and the back tire is almost worn out. I never lock up the rear wheel. Am I to expect this as a standard lifespan for cruiser tires? Should I just buy the $10 26x2.125 whitewalls every 200 miles or do the more expensive tires last longer?

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Most of your weight happens to the back tire. On Cronus,my yellow Titan and my main bike,my rear wheel has gone thru three wheels and about 5 tires while my front wheel and tire remains factory stock.

I just get my tires at the Wal Marts. But my tires last me a bit longer than 200 miles.
I would say I can get almost a thousand miles a tire but I do alot of cruising I say it's equivalent to having highway miles on your car.

The less weight in back the better. Sometimes I ride standing up I seem to think when I do this more of my weight goes to the front and less on the rear.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Run 'em right at 40 psi. Tread wear is even, I'm just a little surprised at how thin the rear is getting already.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
My tires last at least 1000 miles or more and the reason I even have to change them is becouse they get weather checked from being outside....I go with the wal-mart white wall beach cruiser tires....To solve the rim problem I bought a set of 26x2.125 heavy duty spoke wheels....No more bent rims,broken spokes or slowing down for bumps....I run 60psi on the back and 45 on the front....
John-John
brnot

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
I have 200 miles on my bike so far and the back tire is almost worn out. I never lock up the rear wheel. Am I to expect this as a standard lifespan for cruiser tires? Should I just buy the $10 26x2.125 whitewalls every 200 miles or do the more expensive tires last longer?
I too thought that I would be replacing the rear tire often. At 400 miles most of the tread was gone off the stock Schwinn Delmar rear tire. I now have 550 miles and it does not look much different. Now that more rubber is in contact with the ground, it appears to be wearing much slower. I think that I will get at least 700 miles before I change it, maybe more. I still ordered 3 new cheap cruisers tires for the future.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Try Servas Survivor Drifters, they are $40 but they have 4 layers of flat protection, inverse tread so they roll very smoothly. I have about 200 miles on mine now the center molding seam thing is just now not visable. I weigh 220lb. They hold the road really well. This is my third set of tires and I can see that these are going to far outlast the others.

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
My tire did not make it 700 miles as I had predicted. I got a flat at about 600 miles. I replaced the tire while I had it off. There was not much tread remaining. It may have gone another 100 miles, maybe not.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Kev, do you have a friction drive? I only have chain drives and get thousands (literally 2 or 3K miles) After reading this I checked my wally world MoonDawg wheels and both are fine and have lots of tread left. I am thinking maybe you just got a bad one? 200 miles would be a big time bummer! Please post the results of your next one. I, and I am sure many would like to know. 200Ms really is crazy low.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
200 miles is china rubber low. lol

serfas word. in run the flame tread serfas slicks, not only do they roll nice, they have flat protection too. and they have flames on the sides for tread. uber cool ****e.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Kev, do you have a friction drive? I only have chain drives and get thousands (literally 2 or 3K miles) After reading this I checked my wally world MoonDawg wheels and both are fine and have lots of tread left. I am thinking maybe you just got a bad one? 200 miles would be a big time bummer! Please post the results of your next one. I, and I am sure many would like to know. 200Ms really is crazy low.
Nope, just a chain drive. Funny thing is the front still has the nubs on the edges of the tread. Would have went with Wally world replacements but none of them around here have whitewalls and their "cruiser" tire is only 1.75".

Like the looks of these "brick" tires and the fact that the tire is more rounded, the ones I have now have a sharp edge to the tread and it always made me nervous going around corners at speed.
When I was a kid I'd come across a "slick" that I had on the back of my 20" bike, that thing was flat as a board and wouldn't corner at all but it sure looked cool. lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Kev. Ayup, has to look cool fo'shore. I really am thinking you just got a bad one.

I really, really like the Brick tires. They look awesome and when you touch them, they just feel well made and rugged. New

Have you seen this one yet? Be perfect for our thing!

Wildfire Designs Bicycles - Fat Bikes

(LOL@ "our thing" The MB Mafia or somthing)(("Someday, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift on my daughter's wedding day..))

Gift on my daughter's wedding day, Marlon Brando, The Godfather, Don Vito Corleone, Sound Bite

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Kevlarr,
I have had NO LUCK with the Tycoons at all. Have been through 3 of them in 3 months
and one only lasted a week! It seems to hold up OK on the front wheel but the back gets eaten quickly. Just my experience with them. I'm starting to believe that there IS a difference in the rubber used in different tires. For the same money I'm headed to Kmart or the Walstore for the Bell WW cruiser tires and no shipping. Talk to the store manager and tell him/her to stock them.
Good luck with the Tycoons and let us know your results.
WC

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I really really REALLY wish you hadn't shown me that. laff

:edit: Especially when the tires alone are $100 per!
Man I know what you mean! No kidding I think I found 10K worth of gear, here I had no idea I could not live with out. "Hi my name is Dan and I am an addict" snork