FireBelly 4 Stroke "Hard Box" Transmission

GoldenMotor.com

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I agree that the engine braking with the max torque clutch is a good thing. The hardbox clutch was disengaging at about 22mph for me but with the new sprockets it should disengage somewhere around 15mph which will be even nicer. (^) It will make it easier to ride in slow-moving traffic and in parking lots.

I guess I'm wrong about shimming the engine shaft being a bad thing. I look forward to putting the new parts in and taking a ride.

I've taken the opportunity to customize the cover for the hardbox while it is off by rounding the edge with a 1/4" radius routing bit and a little hand filing and sanding. I think it looks a lot better and eliminates an exposed sharp edge. I've attached a pic of the result. I've also painted the left side chainguard to match the bike. I'll have to post an updated picture of the bike once it's back together.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
TS, looking forward to trying your GB. when will your web site be up?

The HS motor tested 40 MPH on the Roller Road at Dawson Springs, KY, and 44 MPH on the street in stock form. One of the owners of the EZ motor kit traded me a Honda motor even for an HS motor because of the apparent power spread.

Have fun,
Quenton
EZ MOTORBIKE COMPANY
You should start a thread. I am not finding the HS is better then the Honda but bares looking into. Am surprised you found some one willing to trade a Honda for an HS. Was there some thing wrong with it? But I am a big fan of the Honda. It really is a great engine and the kits come with quality gear.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Yeah, I wasn't speaking of top speed, really, more comparing top speed for a particular gearing on bikes w/ the same size wheels but each w/ the different motor. Also motor speed; seems maybe the Honda spins faster.

Maybe they are both inconsistant and vary a bit from motor to motor.

human testers add too many variables to the test; you really need hard data. Data wrought from several of each motor under the same test conditions.

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
hello everyone my name is Jared
I've got the Honda with Evans hardbox and correct me if I am wrong but I beleive I have the first universal engine mount that Evan made. Very nice high quality strudy mount by the way.

I also currently have the new gearing ratio which works great and so far so good. Got about 100 miles on the new gearing. I beleive I am the customer who initially reported the 36 mph on flat land and 44 down hill with the honda. That was on the first day while it was still getting the initial break in. Although it is still breaking in the speed has improved. With my 44 tooth rear sprocket it does 40mph now on flat ground. that is if i am not driving into the wind. I was riding into a strong wind today and it slowed me all the way down to 27 mph. I haven't taken the time to figure out exactly how many tooth of a sprocket i need yet but i am going to take the gear ratio down so that i top at around 33mph. I figure it that that will give me not only a better take off but also a more steady top speed that will be less effected by other factors such as wind and hills. Mostly wind though.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Thanks Fin. My wife is working on the website and it will be back up soon! We thought we would have it up by now.
We'll be unveiling it soon w/ new products and support etc.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Thanks all for your interest in the HardBox Transmission. We believe it is and will continue to be a top notch option for 4 stroke motorbicycles.

In the spirit of honesty and integrity I should say that we've been experiencing excessive chain breaks. I believe I've sourced the problem and it should be fairly simple to fortify the necessary parts to acheive an acceptable level of maintenance.

We've taken care of our existing customers and will be testing the upgraded parts in conjunction w/ the shifter model in the coming months. We may be, in the near future, looking for a couple more testers who would receive their kits at a substantial discount

I've had no problems on my shifter model w several hundred miles (300-400 didn't zero my speedo). That's encouraging but more testing is needed.

So, for now, if your interested in being a tester let me know. Otherwise stay tuned for more motorbicycle solutions from FireBelly Cycles. Thanks, Evan

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Yeah
He really is taking care of the customers

He has offered to pay shipping both ways to take a look at my gearbox and rework it if nessecary

He is also upgrading me with the shift kit free for the hassle

I would definetly reccomend doing business with him

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Glack, heat is not an issue (unless you hold your bare leg up against it). The chain is running cooler in the bath. Basically a couple of parts just need to be fortified to keep the chainline true. On the proto (open box) the chain got so hot it would dry out in < 20 miles. Rubbing is the issue on this box and should be a simple fix. Interestingly I had no problems on my proto (other than hot dry chain) or I would have done more testing on the production model before launch. Oh well! Live and learn I guess!

Thanks Jared for your kind words!

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
We may be, in the near future, looking for a couple more testers who would receive their kits at a substantial discount
I put thousands of miles per year on HT 2 strokes and have a few 4 stroke kits but avoid using them due to reputation of the Hoot gearbox. Currently you can buy 5-10 HTs for the price of one "upgrade" gearbox setup.

I'd certainly like to try any alternative. "Substantial discount" off what? What's the bottom line?

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
xlite,
To start off w/ 4 strokes will never compete pricewise w/ 2 strokes. Contrary to popular misconceptio the 2 strokes are incredibly reliable. The Value (4stroke) will get there and is getting there quickly (i.e. price:value). The hoot is worthless, Grubees ($120) are mostly ok but a little hit and miss it seems. The EZ kit ($650 inc motor and kit parts) seems like it works well but I'm not real fond of it's appearance. My box sells for $350 (1sp) and will likely be $495 for the shift kit when a production kit is available. Essentially the bottom line is if I decide to have more testers in addition to giving 100% product support I will likely give a substantial discount w/ an agreement to recipricate test info.

Quite frankly, it is expensive to manufacture in the US and the folks in the best position to profit from overseas manufacture are already selling transmissions (that they apparently think are quality) w/ their 4 stroke kits.

I wanted something that looks more like a m/c trans. and inframes handle better. So I designed the "HardBox" w/ beauty and performance in mind

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Raven,
What's the difference w/ the Titan and HuaSheng? Different mounts? I forget seems I read about it somewhere.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
To start off w/ 4 strokes will never compete pricewise w/ 2 strokes. Contrary to popular misconceptio the 2 strokes are incredibly reliable.

Essentially the bottom line is if I decide to have more testers in addition to giving 100% product support I will likely give a substantial discount w/ an agreement to recipricate test info.
No argument on reliability of 2s vs 4s. I pilot planes with Rotax snowmobile engines. The biggest issue is mileage and that pain in the butt oil mixing.

Anyway the subject is gearboxes. $350 is getting there and I would like to hear more about the discount should that become an option.

Also interesting about the shift kit. You know of course Pablo has one for $180 also american made?