Bicycle engine very hard to start!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Jacob1807

Mar 3, 2013
Cadott,WI
I just put a pull start on my bicycle and tried to start it. At first the rope pulled easily and the engine started right up. I then tried to pull start it a few hours later and it takes about 20 pounds of force to pull. It is also hard to start if i try to start it by peddling and dumping the clutch. Someone please help i am somewhat new to motorized bicycles. It is a Chinese 2 stroke engine. :-||

copmagnet80cc

Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
What might help is using the choke to start it.I think for the 2 stroke on the carb (if you still have the stock NT) is pulling the tab tab up all the way..I would try that..It helps me start my engine.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Did you leave the fuel tap on and fill your crank case with fuel?
If so take plug out, put out your cigarette, and pull the motor over to get rid of some of the fuel.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
16:1 is too much oil. Your spark plug might be fouled due to your fuel/oil ratio.
Start checking the obvious.
Ignition (spark)
Fuel (flowing from tank to carburetor)
Air (choke open)

Tom

Jacob1807

Mar 3, 2013
Cadott,WI
Tom, what oil mixture should i use instead of 16:1. And i did find the problem, it was because one of the rings was seized up and it didn't want to suck in the gas..wee.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom, what oil mixture should i use instead of 16:1. And i did find the problem, it was because one of the rings was seized up and it didn't want to suck in the gas..wee.
Not quite clear on your diagnoses of the problem but most experienced builders will tell you not to exceed 24:1 on your fuel to oil ratio. Many start and stay with a 32:1 mix but there are also many who like to break in an engine on 24:1 then move down to the 32:1 mix after a couple of gallons have been burned.

Could you elaborate on what you found as far as "one of the rings was seized up" ? Something about that doesn't sound right to me.

Tom

Jacob1807

Mar 3, 2013
Cadott,WI
Tom, the ring was stuck in the closed position and was not even touching the cylinder wall. This caused it to not suck enough gas into the cylinder from the carburetor.usflg

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
So your compression was compromised? I've actually had a similar problem where my rings were so badly fouled, they became stuck against the piston in a retracted position. I had to remove the build-up with a razor-blade on both the springs and the piston's ring-seats. THEN I reduced my fuel/oil ratio. This condition should NOT make turning over the engine more difficult, if anything it would make turning over easier.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The rings must move freely in the grooves to work.
But not so loose that they can spin past the locating pins.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom, the ring was stuck in the closed position and was not even touching the cylinder wall. This caused it to not suck enough gas into the cylinder from the carburetor.usflg
One of the many reasons we tell folks not to use 16:1.

I've never seen this condition but it doesn't surprise me. Fouled spark plugs, plugged exhaust systems and generally simply messy and poor performance are several more reasons to not use so much oil. You're not doing your engine any favors.

I hope it's running better now.

Tom

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Another observation: I'd since switched to a castor-oil blend (4:1 2-sroke:gumless castor), and my internals have been spotless.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Another observation: I'd since switched to a castor-oil blend (4:1 2-sroke:gumless castor), and my internals have been spotless.
4:1? Was that a typo? Let' see, that would be 1 quart of oil to 1 gallon of gasoline.
Wow! But it probably smells great :)

Tom

Jacob1807

Mar 3, 2013
Cadott,WI
Thanks everyone, I will try out a different oil ratio today. I did get the piston rings freed up and it is running great now. Lets see how it runs on the new gas mixture.dance1

Jacob1807

Mar 3, 2013
Cadott,WI
Sorry guys, so heres the update. I've hardly ridden my bike at all lately because i've been doing a few little things to it. I got a new engine from pedal chopper along with their exhaust and motor mounts. It sounds beautiful!!! I now just recently got the 3 speed shift kit for it from pedal chopper and have started to install it. So far so good. I will update again for you guys after i get the shift kit finished. Thanks for the good support, Jake. .shft.