7/8" tubing for exhaust?

GoldenMotor.com

SuedePflow

Jun 12, 2013
Coloma, MI
I want to make my own exhaust. I plan to reuse the flange and muffler and just redo the piping in between so that I can reposition the muffler. The tubing is 7/8" (.875") O.D.

Does anyone know where I can find a steel u-bend or j-bend in this diameter? I've been looking all morning and I'm coming up short...

EDIT: I can make 1" tubing work as well if that's easier to find.

Last edited:

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I've modded pit bike exp/mufflers and been where your at now. If you weld... look for an old steel set of 10 speed handlebars ya know the ram horned shape type. Try to find something with the approx. bend already in them. good luck!.shft.

SuedePflow

Jun 12, 2013
Coloma, MI
I ended up buying another set of handlebars to chop up and form an exhaust. I'm just surprised that nobody out there is offering j-bends, u-bends, or any other raw material to use to make exhausts for these. I was hoping one of the moto-bike vendors had DIY material.

Either way, thanks again for the tip. I would have never thought of it.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Keep your eyes open for yard sale bikes (abandoned bikes) for parts. Ya just never know what you will need what for. Ta keep'em going ya gotta be creative which is part of the fun. Good luck and check out my album.usflg

fonzie

Nov 13, 2011
Dillsburg, pa
Columbia River Mandrel Bending has 45,90, and 180 degree pre-bent tubing and it is reasonably priced. Any where from 3/4 on up. You can also order from two different bending radius selections.

SuedePflow

Jun 12, 2013
Coloma, MI
I welded up the exhaust tonight. The handlebars couldn't have worked better. After welding, I header wrapped the pipe and sealed it with a silicon spray.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Looks good but that's a lot of weight hanging on those two 6mm fasteners at the cylinder. It will kill the looks of your pipe but I'd suggest you find a way to support that muffler before putting too many miles on the bike.

Tom

SuedePflow

Jun 12, 2013
Coloma, MI
I considered a support brace. Naturally, I didn't like the look of any of my ideas.

My plan was to run it until (if) some part of it failed. Then repair, and brace.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
I considered a support brace. Naturally, I didn't like the look of any of my ideas.

My plan was to run it until (if) some part of it failed. Then repair, and brace.
III dno if I'd wait for a failure. In the middle of the bike sure, but in the off chance it decides to make its way into your tire because your motor sits right above, could end catastrophically. At least it's only the rear wheel so flipping wont happen, but shredded tires, broken spokes, snapping chain at high speed becoming a potential whip for a rotation or two, etc. The exhausts do vibrate quite a bit, loosening screws on my muffler (they're stripped, waiting on a new cylinder) lets it vibrate now to the point it's actually quite blurry.

But on a side note, you did do an impressive job on that, I didn't even consider using handlebars but it looks like it worked out great.

Last edited:

SuedePflow

Jun 12, 2013
Coloma, MI
Thanks. Vibration is almost non-existant, which is surprising for a rigid as it is. The tube behind the seat post is 1.25" .120" wall 4130, so it's very stout. And the bracing at the bottom of it really helped keep it all rigid.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thats great, now I'd go with about a 28-30T sprocket on the rear and get that things screaming down the road......

but thats just me....LOL always a need for some more speed...!

Very nice bike, show us a pic of the entire bike when you get a chance, Id like to see the whole rig.

map

Thanks. Vibration is almost non-existant, which is surprising for a rigid as it is. The tube behind the seat post is 1.25" .120" wall 4130, so it's very stout. And the bracing at the bottom of it really helped keep it all rigid.

SuedePflow

Jun 12, 2013
Coloma, MI
I plan to order a different sprocket this weekend. Just wasn't sure which size to go with. I'll probably try a 30-tooth and see where that gets me.

I also plan to redo the fuel tank. I'm not digging how high it sits. I'm going to weld up an aluminum can that lays down longways just above the carb. It should look much better.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
This bike looks like a blast to ride!
I'd also guess somewhere around 10/30 gearing would be about right.
Better make sure it has REAL good brakes first though!