Pedal first

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay everything is in place for the Pedal First bike. It is built it is preliminary tested and here it is

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's bike for about $95 from walmart.
A sla battery set from amazon 25ah 12v x2 slightly under $100
350 watt motor with rear wheel from a small scooter as the drive wheel for the friction drive.
There is no controller or throttle just a simple 20amp household electrical on off switch from home depot. Wiring is all from an extension cord. I do have a pull wire suicide switch in case of melt down.
Home made trailer to haul the batteries.
Motor lift built from brake cable and other parts I had laying about and there is a spring for tension.

This is probably going to make the ebike enthusiast cringe but it works fine and it is cheap to build and nothing to maintain.

MY RULES FOR THE PEDAL FIRST BIKE.

rule one...coast whenever possible (Motor lifted)

rule two... pedal whenever possible (Motor lifted) without working too hard...

rule three...Whenever the motor is engaged pedal along with it at a comfortable gear.

I get a good workout even if I don't save a lot of energy going pedal first. I feel like I do save some battery power and extend my range, but I haven't been able to test the bike fully yet. Maybe this weekend when the traffic isn't so heavy, I'll give it a range test. At this time, since I am retired, I can get anywhere I want to go.

Grocery stores, restaurants, home depot, and two donut shops are all within range.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
well even if I lose the twenty five pounds I will still be invisible to the college girls around here. I live within ten blocks of a big college.