Billet intake and Carb issues

GoldenMotor.com

rockonp04

Oct 1, 2010
California
I just installed a manic mechanic billet intake. the carb fits with the attachment but the carb has to tilt slightly. It hits on the clutch spring holder, not the clutch lever but where the small spring starts. I was wondering if the carb is ok running at that tilted angle or could i lower that clutch piece to level the carb?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
First of all, get rid of the small spring. The one that comes in the kit and is supposed to go between the clutch arm and the cable guide on the engine case. It serves no purpose except to increase clutch lever pull.
Carburetor angle can effect the carb operation if the float can not control fuel level. Tilting the carb too much will cause a flooded or a fuel starved condition depending on which way it is tilted. You might be able to adjust the float hinge mechanism to compensate but it will take some experimentation.
Question: Why did you abandon the stock intake manifold?
Tom

rockonp04

Oct 1, 2010
California
The carb is hitting on the cable guide. I read the forums and guys said they could get more power from the straight intake. I am waiting on a NT carb that has yet to be bought so in the meantime I am fitting the stock carb on the intake.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I just installed a manic mechanic billet intake. the carb fits with the attachment but the carb has to tilt slightly. It hits on the clutch spring holder, not the clutch lever but where the small spring starts. I was wondering if the carb is ok running at that tilted angle or could i lower that clutch piece to level the carb?
Unscrew the clutch cable holder and cut off the bolt to lower it as much as possible.
You can cut about 1/4" off.
Then it will clear the float bowl so it isn't tipped sideways.

The straight inlet is supposed to come with that instruction.

You can also get rid of the spring like 2door said so your clutch pull will be easier.

What NT carb are you buying?

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your other option is to slightly tilt the carb laterally just enough to clear the obstruction. Again, any tilt to the carburetor will require checking the float for proper operation. If you're not familiar with how the float functions then I'd suggest you remove the float bowl and see how the plastic float is designed to push upward on the pivot to close the needle valve and lower to open it. This will give you some clue as to which way you need to adjust for whatever tilt you need for clearance. Experimentation might prove that no adjustement is needed. Try it as is before you start bending on the float pivot assembly.
Tom

rockonp04

Oct 1, 2010
California
I'll take the spring off and cut a 1/4" off like you guys said. I'm planning on getting a spooky tooth new NT. I was considering getting a CNC or a Dellato but the NT is a no hassle bolt on option that is really appealing.

rockonp04

Oct 1, 2010
California
I cut a 1/4" off like you guys said and removed the spring. The stock carb fits perfectly and the clutch lever is much smoother. You guys are the best. Thanks for everything.