training wheels

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
To go along with my never give up personality, I think I am going to rig some training wheels to at least one of my bikes. I have never seen a motorized bike with training wheels should be interesting. Not to mention keeping me in the game a little longer.

jdcburg

Jul 9, 2009
massachusetts
Deacon watch out for cornering with training wheels - you can't lean into the corner and you will tend to tip to the outside. You could keep your eyes open for an adult trike. Might work well for you - jd

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
every three wheel I tried did the same thing you are talking about very dangerous on turns especially on uneven pavement.. Im going to stay with the trailer for now. It ads a lot of stability and it moves a little so I can lean.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well my faux trike is underway. I have a trailer with two 16" bike tires mounted very close to the rear wheel of my 20" ebike. I hooked it to the frame on both sides and it will be simi rigid. It will act a lot like a trike I expect. I mostly want it for the balance issue I have.

Also making this cost me under ten bucks for the 20" bike... under ten for the 16"bike and a few bucks for metal. I don't know how much since I had it laying around. I did have to buy two "L" brackets to mount the wheels.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

when the sun comes out I might be able to get a better shot of it. it is attached to each side and reinforced so that it seems to be very rigid. It also seems to be pretty stable so maybe I wont fall getting on and off it. I will ride it tomorrow and see how it behaves.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I put the faux trike aside yesterday and went to work on the bike that I thought was so great before I built the trike. Worked on it all day, then I rode it and it rode like crapm compared to the trike. So I left it over night and today I am going to redesign it for the training wheels idea.

If and when I get it finished, I'll stick up pictures. I might call the style "Octogenarian Goth". Kind of a bike for a Herman Munster, who must be about a hundred now.

Part of the problem is that from this bike, I learned that I needed a larger sprocket on the Rhino drive. I put it on the trike and wow does it run great. I probably will order one of them for this bike as well. I would get one with just a few more teeth but the 65 does so well, I might just stay with it. The sprocket on this drive must be about 50 tooth because it will not climb hills very well at all. We shall see how it does after the redesign if it isn't better then I will just weld on a larger sprocket.

Battery placement may be another issue.

Last edited: