Looking for 24x1.75/2.125 coaster brake wheel with 12G spokes

GoldenMotor.com

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Hey no problem, from what I understand the conversion can be done without the 3 flat washers, but you won't be able to pedal backwards or something, not really sure but when I googled it the first video that popped up showed the method using the 3 washers, so that's what I followed. Someone later told me that it doesn't work quite the same without the 3 washers. Also, if you have the bike up on a center stand and spin the wheel backwards or even roll the bike in reverse, the pedals will turn with the wheel. I was a little weirded out when it happened to me the first time, but I have everything adjusted properly. I then realized that when you spin the wheel backwards, the drive mechanism engages, thusly the pedals spin. But you can still pedal backwards without any problems. Whatever you do, it's very important to remove the spring from the brake clutch. If you leave it in and try to pedal backwards, the axle will bend. Maybe not the first time, but eventually it will. I had considered replacing the coaster brake with a disc brake on my jackshaft (4 stroke), but eventually I decided a bmx brake would be cheaper and easier to install, and with Koolstop pads and a lever with good pull, it should work fairly well. The right front brake by itself is adequate for stopping, but a rear brake helps keep the whole bike stable when braking. I'm gonna have to find a right side lever that matches my left one. Probably go to the nearest motorcycle shop and look around. I was gonna say something else too, but can't remember. Anyway, I'd sure appreciate that link if you do find it. Post it here for everyone. Thanks again.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I think a coupl I was thinking about are on ebay so you have probably seen those already, there is another one I found on another site that I will post if I can find it again.

I think ai have some levers saved in my ebay that might be what you would like, I haven't ordered them yet but had thought about it since they have long handles like a motorcycle lever instead of the little two finger V Brake levers.

Ill post that ebay page here if I still have that saved.

Map

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
It's a lever with a ball at the end, I'm assuming it's made out of either aluminum or else very mild steel, because it's fairly easy to bend. I used a seatpost to very carefully bend mine out further so I could have more pull with it. I just pushed a little at a time until it was bent as far as I wanted. I didn't try to bend it the whole way all at once, for fear it would snap off and then I'd have been screwed with my brake light until I got another lever to replace it. With the right side lever, I hope to be able to heat and bend all at once.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Thanks for the suggestion, mat man, but even though I don't use the coaster brake, my hub adapter will only fit a coaster hub, and converting them to freewheel is super simple. I could do it with my eyes closed practically.