Getting the right kind of spark plug

GoldenMotor.com

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
I have one (LEB slant head) and it's been great. I'd recommend NGK B5HS, or B6HS. If you're using the stock plug boot, you'll have to unscrew the nipple on the tip of your new plug to get to make it work. You might want to upgrade the boot and wire. Either way, you can use the NGK plug. I'm sure there are others, but I've only used these..

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Whatever you use, get rid of that kit supplied plastic plug boot. They are without a doubt the weak link in these kits. You can use the wire, it's probably a metallic core that is better than the resistance (suppression) wire you'll get from most auto parts stores and it's probably glued into the CDI. If you try to take the original wire out you'll need to dig around the wire where it is screwed into the CDI. Be careful because there is a small threaded protrusion that screws into the wire core. Break it and your CDI is toast.

I have no idea why they started gluing the wires into the CDI. The older kits weren't like that. Maybe the wires were coming loose and falling out and causing problems. Whatever, they should at least give you more than six or eight inches of wire.

Tom

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Yes, I had to dig the last wire out of the plastic because it was glued. I tried acetone and heat but to no avail.... finally had to dig the wire out bit by bit with a small screw driver. I asked LEB to request the factory to stop gluing the wire. I told her that she was a big customer with some clout.

But see, I haven't purchased any in a while though, so I don't know if the factory in China that LEB deals with has received my message and has implemented the process change yet. I will start holding my breath......NOW!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've had good luck with Dremel and a tiny ball burr to get the wire out without damaging the contact. I hope your input to LEB has some clout. I've mentioned it to Duane, Dax, also. Maybe if enough people complain to their sellers the factory might listen.

Tom

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
My main thing is this - my engine seems like its having some lapses in the sparking process. Almost like it skips a spark sometimes. I'm not sure if its the CDI or the magneto. I have been thru a few bike drops so maybe its the CDI. I will definitely be opening it up soon to have a look...

By skipping a spark, i mean as if for that single stroke, it acts like im holding the kill switch