New type engine..front drive

GoldenMotor.com

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
How good are you with fabrication, mechanical, and engine maintenance? By the way, I pay my respect to you for serving the country. That engine currently does not have ANY parts available in the U.S. The people who own them really like them, but if it breaks you need to be creative, only you know if you can handle that. Peace
-LS

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
How good are you with fabrication, mechanical, and engine maintenance? By the way, I pay my respect to you for serving the country. That engine currently does not have ANY parts available in the U.S. The people who own them really like them, but if it breaks you need to be creative, only you know if you can handle that. Peace
-LS
1. How good are you with fabrication...better then most for what I have to work with. Check out my work..
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
2. I pay my respect to you for serving the country..Thank you
3. That engine currently does not have ANY parts available in the U.S. ... thanks, that's good to know. Hadn't thought or the availability of parts, or should I say NON.
4. The people who own them really like them....thanks, that's what I'm looking at.besides $215 is a drop in a bucket. That's 2 fill ups in my Dodge Diesel....

Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Nice work! I think you'll be able to handle this then :D I like the really thorough style you have with documenting these builds :)

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Nice work! I think you'll be able to handle this then :D I like the really thorough style you have with documenting these builds :)
Thank you...Working on the engine was a piece of cake..it's taking the pictures, downloading to PC, and posting on Photobucket. I find it much easier for those not familiar with engines or mods to look at a picture. Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and I HATE TYPING.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
lots of engine parts available from Steve's mopeds and Velosolex usa. I bought gaskets and rings from both of them recently.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It's good to know that there are thousands in Vietnam running well.

I bet all of them are Chinese.

Go for it, I did.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I think the ones seen in Vietnam were original Solex engines. The original European tooling for the engines were sold to someone in China a few years back, if I got my facts straight

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I dunno.

Solex is European (French) correct?

I never thought the Vietnamese were that rich.

I can tell you that the stink and the rust from my tank could very well date back to Vietnam.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I dunno.

Solex is European (French) correct?

I never thought the Vietnamese were that rich.

I can tell you that the stink and the rust from my tank could very well date back to Vietnam.
The French had a great deal of influence over Viet Nam (was colonized by French)...that was until WWII It can be seen most notability in the house wiring. The wires from the switches to lights/ceiling fans are mounted to the exterior of the walls.

They have upgraded to a more expensive bike since I was there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6atq2paucI&NR=1

I've driven in traffic as shown below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJiJdrGne_U

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That's cool.

Vietnam, a biker's paradise.

What was even cooler was the pedal bikes as fast as the scooters and motorcycles.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I wish I could figure out the drive train they used on the TrailBreaker. Saw one on Pawn Stars and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since - single motor, all wheel drive drive chain on a bicycle!

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I had one way back. Had a chrysler 2 stroke about the size and shape of a loaf of bread.
Had a belt cvt driving a 2 output gearbox. Had a driveshaft inside main frame tube with a universal joint in the steering head, and a 90deg box above the front wheel.
Quite complicated,but well engineered.
If I was gonna make a 2 wheel drive bike, I would experiment with hydraulic pump on engine and hyd motors at each wheel

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have explored the hydro thing for other projects(inboard boat) and it is feasible. Down side is hydros tend to be noisy and 3K rpm is considered high speed. Highly reliable and has reverse. Can be pricy unless you are dealing used. This was several years back though, maybe they are faster and cheaper now.

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
my uncle Rick Hollars fought in Nam he is walking the heavens now after living a long life after Nam may you keep on kicking a long time and the Solex looks like a cool design

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I have explored the hydro thing for other projects(inboard boat) and it is feasible. Down side is hydros tend to be noisy and 3K rpm is considered high speed. Highly reliable and has reverse. Can be pricy unless you are dealing used. This was several years back though, maybe they are faster and cheaper now.
I've seen small pumps and motors new surplus, for around $60. Prolly could use a power steering pump with resivoir for cheap supply pressure.

Low speed not an issue with right sprockets. Chaining should last way longer at lower speed.
Now if someone could come up with a small hyd. wheel hub motor to fit in a bike wheel, I would definitly experiment with hyd. drive.
Mebbe a special axle with bearings on the dropouts, so as to mount a motor direct drive on the axle end.