Motoped street legal in CA

GoldenMotor.com

user48067

Dec 16, 2015
I will spell it out for you . Your riding your MB, and do something to attract a police officer. He pulls you over. You smart ass him. He gets mad and asks you for your driver license. You ain't got one. You smart ass him again. He asks you for your vehicle registration. You ain't got one. You smart ass him again. He asks for your liability insurance papers. You ain't got none. He wants to know why you don't have a headlight. You smart ass him again. He wants to know what happened to your left rear view mirror. You don't got one. By this time he can give you at least 3 violations on your California Driver license( IF you have one). He will call a tow truck and impound your piece of junk. Your auto insurance company will love it too. They will raise the rates on your vehicle. (if you have one). SGT 87octane at your service!

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Yup show them the respect they deserve and ride smart. Ride like you're a car not a spandexer. You know obey the law. Obey both the bicycle laws and the vehicle laws and there should be no reason to get pulled over. Here in San Jose there aren't many cops anyways and they're busy with other things.

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Ok before this gets too far please read under mopeds which is a motorized bicycle. It clearly says you don't need insurance.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/motorcycles/motorcycles
That link is to the old cvc406 (b) which only applied to electric bicycles or eBikes. The revised vehicle code 406 for motorized bicycles/mopeds took effect Jan 1 2016 and you will see that insurance exemption for eBikes is no longer noted.
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=406

Last edited:

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Ehhhh, not so fast - “YOUR INSURANCE POLICIES MAY NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THE USE OF THIS BICYCLE. TO DETERMINE IF COVERAGE IS PROVIDED YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR AGENT.”

Why would they write that into the revised vehicle code, and why use the term "Bicycle" not "Motor Vehicle", "Vehicle" or better yet "Device" as a motorized bicycle/moped is defined in California Vehicle Code 406 (a)??

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Could be, notice though it's the same disclosure tacked onto the vehicle code of another "device" the Motorized Scooter (gas or electric) which just happens to be exempt from California's liability insurance requirements. Hummm....coincidence?

407.5. Motorized Scooter Defined
(a) A "motorized scooter" is any two-wheeled device that has handlebars, has a floorboard that is designed to be stood upon when riding, and is powered by an electric motor. This device may also have a driver seat that does not interfere with the ability of the rider to stand and ride and may also be designed to be powered by human propulsion. For purposes of this section, a motorcycle, as defined in Section 400, a motor-driven cycle, as defined in Section 405, or a motorized bicycle or moped, as defined in Section 406, is not a motorized scooter.
(b) A device meeting the definition in subdivision (a) that is powered by a source other than electrical power is also a motorized scooter.
(1) A manufacturer of motorized scooters shall provide a disclosure to buyers that advises buyers that the buyers' existing insurance policies may not provide coverage for these scooters and that the buyers should contact their insurance company or insurance agent to determine if coverage is provided.
(2) The disclosure required under paragraph (1) shall meet both of the following requirements:
(A) The disclosure shall be printed in not less than 14-point boldface type on a single sheet of paper that contains no information other than the
disclosure.
(B) The disclosure shall include the following language in
capital letters:
"YOUR INSURANCE POLICIES MAY NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THEUSE OF THIS SCOOTER. TO DETERMINE IF COVERAGE IS PROVIDED, YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR
AGENT."

Last edited:

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
That's for sellers so it covers their as$es
So you really think the State cares about the financial well being of those selling motorized bicycles and scooters? How about the well being of the consumer?

Could it be the politicians that added these disclaimers to the laws are only worried about covering the States' (and their) ass$es since they aren't specifically requiring the minimum financial liability insurance on these "devices", which they know in many cases is not available? :confused:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I know that you have to show proof of insurance to register a car. They will not issue a registration without proof, so why will they for my motorized bicycle?

Last edited:

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Good point, the answer is because you are not "registering" your motorized bicycle, rather applying for a one time "I.D. Card" and "special" license plate.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Move to AZ, we love MBs here. No licence, no registration, no insurance. 50cc/20mph limit, Scoff Scoff. Next to zero enforcement in my area, LEOs just smile and wave, no matter how fast I'm going, or what time, or where I am, blah blah blah. But, all our bordering states suck, and have way more regulation. Haha for now, they'll give us the shaft soon.