So, thinking about an e bike........

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
There is a local company here in NZ that has their e bikes made for them in China. The brand name is 'Volto' and they claim that the bikes they offer are built to their spec to suit New Zealand conditions.

The bike on this page is the one I'm looking at btw.
http://www.volto.co.nz/electric-bikes-nz/volto-tdf03z/

I'm having a rough time with this illness I live with so an 'off the peg' e bike is the only real way to go for me. My faithful old trike needs a lot of work doing to it and at the moment it takes me all my time just to do the usual self care stuff for myself over the course of a day without trying to repair my trike as well.

I had a look at a Volto bike of the same model down at the local bike hire place a couple of days ago and I must say it's a nice looking piece of kit. Seriously thinking of hiring one for a day just to see what one rides like and if it will do wot I want.

Attachments

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
honestly an seriously i'd stay away from hub motors an go with a mid-drive it'll get you around a lot easier an be a **** of a lot better going up hills an hauling any shopping home

in australia our stupid laws say 200-250w max but unless you're being a complete clown no one knows what power output you have, mine is 48v 1200w i stick to 30-35kph cruise speed an never get picked up an i've talked with cops a few times who are just curious about my bike

low powered hubs will only disappoint you i started with a 48v 1000w hub an very quickly realized it was just weak an gutless an upgraded to 48v 1200w mid-drive the difference was night an day........

sorry if i've confused you but i hope i've helped

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Thanks ajoh for the advice and feedback :) Fortunately the district where I live is pretty much all flat ground and the distances I need to travel around town aren't all that far so I don't really need a great deal of power on tap.
The Volto is designed by a Czech electrical engineer who emigrated to New Zealand and started up the company in 2010 and they offer both a direct drive hub as well as two types of geared hub motors to suit whatever your local riding conditions are. I used to ride a homebuilt 250 watt hub motored bike around here when I first came to live in the district so I know what to expect more or less. The other thing is I want to be able pedal the bike with the motor helping out so I still get exercise. Even though I live with a fatiguing illness maintaining a level of exercise is still very important to my general health and well being.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It's sounding as though this might be just the right bike for you, Intrepid Wheelwoman. And if the cost is not outrageous, then so much the better.

Most of us are of the opinion, as you know, that you get more bang-for-the-buck with an internal combustion engine. But electrics have their charms as well.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
BGW, - I use my bikes and trike in public places like the local shopping centre and around the medical centre & etc as a means to get around when I'm not so well. Silent running and lack of exhaust fumes make e-vehicles the ideal form of transport for me.
I still like IC engines and I'm still as fascinated as ever I was by old cyclecars and motor bicycles, - it's just that (sigh) I'm having to be practical about my local use vehicle choices.

Volto also sells a mid drive conversion kit that I've enquired about as it has the advantage that it's possible to fit it to the elderly type bicycles I like so much and the final result doesn't look too out of place; - which is important to a retro girl like me. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think that hub motor will work well for you, IW. Its very flat where I live and my 24v ebike does fine (but I like to pedal).
I like how the batteries are mounted low in the frame on that ebike for easy handling. Remember to charge the lithium batteries outside. They can ignite on rare occasions during charging.
I prefer gas powered bicycles too, but the road conditions near my home are more suitable for electric power.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have a garage full of MBs both IC and E powered. I guess I go back and forth from time to time riding either or. Right now I prefer the Ebikes due to my local being very well suited to them. If I were having to ride longer distances it would definitely an IC ride.

All that said the bike you are looking at IW looks great. In the long haul the DD hub motor is the least trouble, though I like my geared units also, especially if pedaling alone is necessary as there is no drag. With your present medical situation using an E bike is as simple as plugging in the charger. A big plus!

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Nice bike IW, I think it would suit you well with the extremely low center bar.
From a person with two hub motor bikes, you'll love it. I never ride my gasser anymore because I prefer being stealh and hate being stopped every 10 minutes.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
That looks like a good bike to me. Nice and easy. I find it quite enjoyable to take a nice 10 mph ride and just relax with no hurry.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Thanks for your input and advice everyone :D

The Volto is the lowest priced e bike on the New Zealand e bike market at the moment as the company has a policy of direct marketing which cuts out middle men and keeps the price low. That being said it is still $NZ1800 which means that I'm going to have to talk to the friendly society I bank with and ask about a loan.

My clever tech minded daughter is presently working on building herself an e bike with the controller and other electronics entirely designed by herself. I could wait for her to perfect her design, but really I need transportation right now which is why I'm seriously looking at the Volto.

I have high hopes too for the mid drive conversion kit as this will allow me to convert my favourite elderly bicycles over to giving me an electric powered helping hand without having to make any big changes to their original state of condition.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
So I had a chat with the friendly society I bank with and it looks like they are willing to fund me Ok. After much hard thought I decided to go with the mid drive conversion kit and converting my faithful old tricycle over to electric traction. The Volto bike is very nice, but I know from experience that I really do need a trike to get around on.

If I work slowly and carefully without trying to break any records I think I should be able to do the necessary work on my faithful old Hercules tricycle. I have a pair of excellent 26 inch wheels with Westwood rims that take 26x2x1&3/4 tyres and one of the wheels has a 3 speed SA hub with coaster brake which will be just the job for this conversion.
I had been planning on keeping these wheels back for a motorbicycle project, but it looks like my days of riding two wheelers are soon going to be over so it would be better to use them on my tricycle.

The other thing is if I did buy the Volto bike I'd be too scared to ride it in case I got it dirty or scratched it or something so it's better if I stick with my venerable old machines.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Anne,

I was wondering about the two wheels vs three wheels. With the trike it would be easier to carry what you want and not have to worry about balancing the load so it's even.

Not sure what the Volto midmotor costs since I couldn't find it on their website but you may want to check out EM3ev.com. Paul the owner has a first rate reputation on the endless Sphere e-bike site and they are a tough bunch to impress.

If you look at his website he sells the motors with and without batteries in 500w and 750w sizes. He's based in Hong Kong so shipping to you shouldn't be that high. Yes,I had me tongue in my cheek when I typed that.

Steve.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hi Steve :) I obtained the price quotes by contacting Volto directly as they were still in process with putting the mid drive kits up on their website. I will check out EM3ev's website though and ask them for shipping quotes as much would depend on the freight price and how expensive it was. NZ Customs duty might be another problem too as the price would be above the 'free' limit allowed for overseas purchases.
With Volto they have the goods here in the country right now and I would receive my kit and battery around two days after placing my order and paying for it. And they have spares backup on site for what they sell which is important.

Thanks though for the link to the EM3ev website as it does give me an idea of just wot is available elsewhere. :)

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Anne,

The ever present palm of the tax man. I'd forgotten about that part of it. I did think of the fact that the motor, battery and parts are available right at your door step and that is a huge bonus when you need the parts now and not in 2 or 3 weeks.

Hope your feeling well enough to build the trike.

Steve.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Not to knock the mid drive but a common DD or geared hub for the front is about an hours install( most of the time is dealing with the wiring!) and leaves the rest of the trike untouched.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
My Hercules tricycle has a 28 inch front wheel with a Westwood rim and a vintage stirrup brake. This all works very well and would make changing out to a DD or geared front hub a real pain as well as changing the whole character of my tricycle.

If my tricycle was a modern one with a 26inch front wheel and v brakes (or similar) I would agree with you CB.

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
i say, it's better to have an not need it, than to need it an not have it.......

where a DD hub would likely be maxed out hauling rider an bike especially at 200-300w
a good mid-drive will haul rider, bike an shopping with relative ease an be much nicer to ride especially with disabilities.......

best of luck with it all Intrepid Wheelwoman........

ps, go for as much power as you can (only you need to now how much power you have ;)......

Reactions: zing

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hi Anne,
It looks to me like you're on to something good with your trike conversion to electric. I concur with Steve that buying locally (and with someone who speaks your language) makes good sense. If he is someone who cares about his reputation then he is going to be helpful and take responsibility if something is not as it should be.
Please do a build thread and take us along on your etrike journey. And I'm glad the Hercules is the trike of choice. This will be a classy ride. Ebike is the future, I know, much as I love the old motors.

My hybrid trike is iving with me in my apartment in town, stowed next to my bed and between it and a workbench. I'm now waiting for snow time to shut down outside activities and for a set of four SLA batteries and charger to arrive from forum member Magwa. Cannonball has sent me three of the same, so I am all set to get the electrics in working order, then address issues with the Villiars midget engine in back. Mine will be a very heavy trike, I'm afraid while yours will be relatively light. May each serve us well. Like you, I'm looking for my trike to be a serious alternative transport. I'll decide later whether to go with 36 volts or 48.

Wishing you well in all ways,
SB

Last edited: