gas and electric

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A front hub motor will require at least 24 volts and your engine accessory wire usually produces about 6 volts.
I have powered a head and tail light with the accessory wire but it sometimes weakens the engine spark. I went back to battery powered lights.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The magneto generator doesn't put out anywhere near an electric bike motor needs to run, but if you have room for the batteries and the engine, it can be done. To make a true "hybred electric/gas bike, you would need a pretty powerful gas engine to run a pretty powerful generator to feed those power hungry electric motors, a decent electric hub motor will need about 1000 watts or more of power and it takes about a 2hp engine to power a 1kw generator... and bigger generators require even bigger engines which would end up way too heavy of a setup to be practical.
Now if you can get en electric hub motor kit with the batteries and find a way to mount the batteries so they could feed the hub motor, then mount the gas engine in it's normal location or on a rear rack for friction drive, then you could have a 2 wheel drive gas/electric bike that could use the gas engine, the electric motor, or both to power it.

cj7hawk

Apr 28, 2015
Perth, Australia
I know it's an old thread, but... If you got a rear-wheel brushless, and a front-wheel brushless, and drove the rear-wheel from a gas engine, and then connected the two wheels the same with 3 pieces of wire between, you'd kind of end up with the front wheel slaved to the rear, and something like a 2WD bicycle, but you'd have trouble turning it because the wheels would be close to rotationally locked. Add a rectifier and high-ripple-current array and a motor controller though and it would work. Wouldn't be great for the open road, but might be nice on soft sand. You wouldn't get any more power - there'd be an overall reduction - but you would find it would climb out of sand a bit better as the front wheel wouldn't bog down so much.