any ratty projects???

GoldenMotor.com

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I'm working on a Rat I suppose,
I use to call it the Rat Rod Mountain Goat.
But I took the shift kit off for the Softtail.
I'm thinking Two different sets of rims,
I was hoping to posting up some photos this evening, see how I go.
It's 3 PM here already, I'm just having lunch and I'll get back to her.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
This is an old frame that the local bike shop gave me, it was a really dusty mat black painted with a brush, I thought it was cool, until I spilt some fuel on it and realized it had been painted in bitumen. So I cleaned most of it off to find a stratched up old faded blue, and I thought that's still pretty cool, This is something to go bush bashing in. And with the weather like it is here, start of our wet season, when we could get 20 ft of rain over the next 4 months. I thought it's time to put the 'Goat' back together.
As I mentioned it no longer has the shift kit, so no longer a Mountain Goat, but I thought to make it dual purpose, One set of wheels with knobies and a larger sprocket and 'The Old Raleigh' Will soon be retireing and giving up it's wheels with HD Hubs and 36t fixed to hub on the back and hopefuly front and rear discs, for when it dries up again. I'll mock the Raliegh back up again, but she won't be doin' 80 Kph anymore, the brakes really aren't up to it, and It doesn't look to be an easy Disc conversion.
This bike however will double as my fast bike and I plan to try and get 80 Kph on the Goat ( in Dry weather!)
She'll be running a 40mm Stroke, Stuffed cases, port and polished jug and a 19mm chainsaw carb.
I'm still thinking about pipe design, but tempted to go for a similar design to the 'bannana' pipe I built for 'The Phantom'
With the stinger exiting from the belly much the same, but this bike has a bit more room to get a longer pipe under her. She's getting the dented tank, taped up seat, and all the not so shiny bits mixed with a little polished alloy, which won't likely get polished again for a bit.
Hope she's Ratty enough. I have 7 photos I'd like to put up,
And I should probably run her in a bit with a speed carb and standard exhaust, but probably won't.
The whole bike should just cost me $160 for the motor kit, but all the nice new bits from the kit are going else where, besides crank, piston , barrel and head and all my old bits are going on this one. As well as a couple of cheap knobbies. So $200 and 1/2 a new kit left over. Oh and a set of discs (2nd handies if I can find em, or otherwise cheapies.

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I've got my slowly growing Cag engined bike. I've decided to call it a Cobertizo once it's finished. That's Spanish for Shed.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
there has not been too much newly posted in the rat category

anyone have anything they want to post?????
Buba you own more Rat Rods than everyone on here combined. We all are waiting on you to do something fantastic with one of them and shock and awe motorbicycling.com.

Still waiting. LOL

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
Hi all
yeah mike -i posted to see some other characters creations not to toot my crazy

chopped three frames 2 small chrome magna bmxs for a 4-5 year old this afternoon
i am amazed at the strength of the tubing used to make them and am using 1-1/4"" and 1-1/2" conduit and fence post tubing for my frame stretch/construction i dooooo get some real pleasure chopping and fitting!!!
now for the follow through-- or someone inclined to participate???

yesterday visited an old timey-- metal fabrication shop called "Dieform"
down near rosecrans and avalon initially wanted $475 plus $100 set up --like it is too difficult to put the mandrel and follower in the device for bending some chrome clothing rack 1-1/4"
Old Bill finally said $10 each with $100 set up
still seemed alittle too much for my cheap self -but that might change --would use for rear stays
and maybe some fork designs
gotá figure out how to get my 5-6" radius u bends for some frame ideas
ANY LOCALS HAVE A RESOURCE?????

scored a v twin 16 hp "Safeguard"?? brand ANYONE KNOW IT???
if i could only make out the scraped up label?????
took the bent up pull off -seems to have compression- has an electric start

today also scored another dyno glide frame the yellow and black -"baseball model"

I know mike- i will have to see a few of these creations through to completion/motoring

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Buba Too Cheap? Says who? You got a couple of hundred bikes surrounding your house. LOL

180 U Bends are only on the most expensive benders. I surely can't afford one like that. I wish I could though cause it would make building the frame much easier.

jazz2561

Sep 20, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I've built a couple of rat rods(when I wasn't in college, boy I miss high school)

Man I miss them, including the first one I ever built(the deathtrap). Oh yea, I'm the tall guy in the red shirt.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Buba let your mind soar and look at Jazzs cool Rat Rods. I'm sure you have each one of those bike parts laying somewhere in your bike pile in your back yard. LOL

Last edited:

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
thanks Ludwig for the motor info
I am still am uncertain what the v is I have a kohler or two but this one is different ???

good to see you -jazz -the bikes are the greatest how's the scorpion coming along????

yeah mike---- I have five kinda similar but different beefy large 1x1/4 and 1x1/2" tubing frames cut and ready for welding laying in front of the house
get ready silverbear!!!!

now to give my used Hobart welder no gas tank?? a run or get with my buddy Jose on it

maniac--lucky I heard the crackling sound this past week when my angle grinder put the too too dry California grass in my front yard on fire ---the spark throw was about 8-10 feet from where I was cutting scared the **** outa me -- this summer is going to be scary for those in the historic fire ravaged California areas!!!!!!

now I have 3 water filled 5 gallon buckets with cut off 1 gallon milk containers standing by
and I am being even more attentive and I have to dig my front yard hose out from underneath a stack of daily rider family bikes and frames

Last edited:

jazz2561

Sep 20, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Scorpion is on hold for a bit, but I'm trying get my new bike build together, and dude I didn't even know that facebook page existed, why didn't you tell me earlier lol!

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
Jazz---ludwig posted abut the facebook above

I am not a facebookie/signee but the photos appeared when i clicked the above
when i was on line at my daughter's dance class

good to see ya-- don't be shy-- keep'er going ---they are great

Last edited:

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
okay jack
grab some chain link fence tubing use best respirator protection- grind off or chemically remove the galvanized where you plan to weld and when you do weld it outside with fans blowing all fumes away and do not breath any!!!!! fumes

jump in both feet -- splice and dice--- chop and bop

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
Possible beater parts bike build. Got this chromoly frame and had all the other stuff lying around. Will either set up as a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke but would prefer 4. Very lax geo! And a pretty Cush fork too so should be a comfy beater / lender bike. Prob gonna paint it Matte blue.

Attachments

Last edited:

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
Hi Moto

looks like you got a good build going...

I was just up in San Francisco last week surprised no one could direct me to any scrap metal yards in the area

was also surprised by the fixie bike scene --with the hills?

the bicycle scene on Valencia was pretty cool

lots of very expensive full suspension mountain bikes around the
Presidio Park/Golden Gate

The rental bicycle scene is very much alive as are those blue bicycles for rent as part of a city program???

ride safe

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
Hi Moto

looks like you got a good build going...

I was just up in San Francisco last week surprised no one could direct me to any scrap metal yards in the area

was also surprised by the fixie bike scene --with the hills?

the bicycle scene on Valencia was pretty cool

lots of very expensive full suspension mountain bikes around the
Presidio Park/Golden Gate

The rental bicycle scene is very much alive as are those blue bicycles for rent as part of a city program???

ride safe
Thanks - yeah there arent really any scap yards in the city, gotta drive for a while to get to them. There are a lot of reclaimed places that will sell you cheap bike stuff though (I got that frame for free from one where I go quite a bit.) Bike / fixed gear scene is nuts. Most people just ride fixed gears with brakes or low gearing for the hills. Route planning is everything in this city - you can ride without encountering hardly any hills if you think about it. I race mtb's and there are some awesome bike around. i believe there is a blue bike share program but i really dont know.