Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was going to take a photo of the rear wheel in place Rick but forgot to. I'll go down now and take a photo and measure up the stays widths. It's colder than an ex mother in laws stare at the moment. I have extensive experience with the stare so feel I qualify to offer an opinion as an expert.

I did notice that the leading cause of divorce was marriage.

It's supposed to be in the upper 40's later next week but raining. At least the garage will be warmer and I don't have to turn on the heat.

Thank you for the kind words. I am getting more and more excited about the build being completed. Other than jack shaft this was the last hurdle to completing the marathon that the tri car has become.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I talked to the doctor yesterday and he said that arthritis is not on the approved list of ailments that the province will pay for. He's looking into anyone doing a study that he can get me into if I qualify.

The local Hyperbaric clinic said I have to be checked by their doctor to see if I qualify for treatment and it's only $125.00 a visit and at least two if not 3 visits a week to start. It was a thought and I thank Ludwig for mentioning it and everyone's support and suggestions.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick, the seat stays where they straighten out from the seat post to go down to the drop outs are 3" on the outside of the tube. This is about an 1-1/2" down from the seat post. The drop outs are 4-1/2" wide on the inside. The taper matches the shape of the gas tank.

The chain stays are 3-1/2" wide on the inside about 3" from the front of the chain stay where it's welded to the frame and they taper out to 4-1/2" where they join the drop outs. This allowed the chain stay to clear the sprocket rather than have the chain stay narrow at the front and interfere with the sprocket as it came back to connect to the drop out. I used 5/8" tubing for the stays.

I bent the left hand seat stay just past the outer edge of the sprocket so it came in to connect to the dropout.

Hope this helps. Please ask if anyone needs more information.

Steve

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks for the detailed info on the rear triangle. Photos are great but measurements fill in the blanks. Using 5/8" tube seems adequate for strength and yet remain visually appealing as well. Key items revealed was seat stays following the tank taper and finished width at the axle drop plates. It's. Going to kill with tank and all drive components mounted. Have you finalized rear tire width at this point? What problems are you anticipating with the jack shaft? Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The photos without the measurements are frustrating aren't they. I had to do a lot of guess work on the tri car because of that and it made me determined to provide a detailed build report.

I would really like to see someone else build a tri car. It wouldn't have to be an Indian and as a matter of fact unless there is a burning desire to own one I wouldn't suggest the effort it takes to build one. They could let their minds roam free as Silverbear did with the Hiawatha tri car. The two tri cars only share the front end and after that they are entirely different bikes.

The tri car looks intimidating but it really isn't. I spent most of my life working with wood and the metal working skills were from what I learned in school 50 years before I started building. I started with one photo taken from the side 20' from the bike and most of later shots were taken from the side as well so people could see the profile of the bike.

I was well into the build before I saw a head on shot of the steering and suspension. All I could do was look through the spokes of the side shots and guess what it looked like. I just hope that what I've done makes it easier for anyone following to build theirs as well.

I don't anticipate any problems problems with the jack shaft. The machinist I take the work I need done is a BMW motorcycle nut and he does a lot of motorcycle repairs so he has a good idea of what I want done.

The tires on the bike now are 2.25x26". I'll run them until I find everything on the bike is working well and if there is clearance for larger tires I may get wider ones. I don't expect the bike to be ridden much. It's illegal in Canada with a gas motor and may be more than a little shady in a lot of states. Probably just riding around Bike Camp and car and bike shows.

I built it just to see if I could. I've never been able to resist a challenge and this was one of the fun ones.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
On the other hand I was rooting around in our permanent, temporary garage the other day and found a lot of things that I'd forgotten about. A Monark frame that Silverbear sent me years ago and a bunch of wheels that match. There are three new golf cart front axles that Silverbear and I bought a long time ago and as I pulled everything into a row I do believe that when the tri car is done and the weather gets better there may be an electric Monark tri car to match the Monark and sidecar.

No gas tank to build or clutches/jack shafts to worry about and the front seat will be simple to build since I get to design it. I still have the form to make the "springs."

The hard work is done and there are a bunch of the little parts sitting around in boxes. Front hubs and the motor from Sick Bike parts are about the only parts that are missing. The two Monark's would share a battery. There is no pattern to follow so it should go quickly.

If you can't dream your not living well.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Our temperature today was up to 50F. Torrential rain of course but that's winter in the northwest and it's supposed to rain for the next week without stopping. Bike is taking shape slowly.
Probably good for a couple more days of shaping up the welds.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Glad you are getting somewhere on the build, it is looking good. Like your new rear, getting it the shape of your tank is KOOL.
Damp weather has to be hard with Art getting in the way...........Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve I'm certain that rainy weather and cleaning up welds is conducive to dreaming of new projects and I like the ones you've mentioned in the past as well as the Monarch electric tricar. The last makes a practical as well as a beautiful build that I'd expect you could legally ride with minimum of governmental hoop jumping. The ease of mounting the tricar is a real plus as well when dealing with physical limitations and you have so many of the projects major components already at hand.
Iceing and cherry on top with sprinkles is the prospect of displaying the electric Monarch and gas powered Indian "camel back" tricars side by side...the mental vision makes me smile. Whatever direction you take for your next build will be great given the choices you've presented. Build on....Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Art is making it really interesting Curt and the wet weather just adds to the joy indeed. We both came to the conclusion that I need to learn to be a better welder or buy a bigger grinder.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Day dreaming does make the grinding go faster Rick. I still plan to build a Sportsman Flyer based Indian and sidecar but as I was sitting there grinding I started thinking about what to do with all the parts I've collected and will probably never use in my lifetime.

It all went bad when I was out in the the storage and started looking at what was there. I have a short list of needed parts made up and and as I said this is what ever I want it to be so there is unlimited freedom.

I hadn't thought about the Indian tri car and the electric one side by side but it would indeed be interesting to see peoples reactions to them. The side benefit of electric is stealth. Makes you welcome around camp grounds and flea markets everywhere plus I could sell the story to the police about it being mobility device.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve you are a shrewd fellow indeed. I'd not thought of having a Doctor write a prescription for a motorized conveyance of two, three or four wheels. Doctor's orders to get around the DMV...genius my friend! Just in case it doesn't work perhaps a bail bond and solicitors fund might be a wise investment of any spare cash as well.

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I have the rear view mirror hanging card, a cane and the best befuddled old man act you could possibly imagine. I watched a lot of Tim Conway on Carol Burnett's shop. The plus is I live in the area that has the highest concentration of old people in Canada. They aren't surprised by anything.

Might well be a stretch to convince the police that the tri car is a mobility device. I'm planning on going with the explanation that those little scooters are demeaning for a man of my status. I'd go with the finishing argument that would they be seen on one if they had a choice.

I fully agree that a solicitors card in my wallet and the extra cash, such as it is, invested would be an excellent idea. Never to old to poke a angry bear in the backside with a short, sharp stick.

Steve.

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
I use a walker, I am well past the point of getting around with a cane. I have had the auto handicap sticker for 17 years. But I can ride a bicycle, just cannot get up if I should fall down, or be able to stand back up without the help of a walker. My Doctors, both civilian Doctor and my Veteran Administration Doctor have both signed off on the handicap use of a bicycle with a sidecar. I have had no issues with them about anything that helps to keep me both mobile and active.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
God bless Texas and any other state, province etc. where common sense can be and is still applied and I also applaud you sir for your tenacity of spirit that allows you stay up on big wheels. Rick C.

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
God bless Texas and any other state, province etc. where common sense can be and is still applied and I also applaud you sir for your tenacity of spirit that allows you stay up on big wheels. Rick C.
Don't jump the gun, it has not been tested with law enforcement. Locally I doubt if I will have any problems, but some towns are not as open minded as Abilene.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Understood I'm just up the road a couple of hours from you in Indian Territory and law enforcement has a tolerant attitude towards those who don't abuse the intent of the law (safety)...and thank you for your service! Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
A bicycle with a sidecar or a tri car so long as it's electric and has pedals would be legal here fortunately. They would of course get a lot of interest from the police who would be curious about what it is and the legality but with three wheels and electric and pedal power your good to go as I said.

I would guess that there are police officers who would pull a fella over if he had a sidecar on his bike with a walker in it and arrest him but by the time that hit the news and the court I would like to think that the officer would be standing in front of the Police Chief or the Judge and have a severe lecture about his lack of intelligence. Having seen the quality of some Police Chiefs and Judges that might be a pipe dream as well.

I did build my sidecar child sized because the bike is not supposed to be able to carry passengers and my reasoning would be if asked that the side car was built to allow me to carry small items if I needed to and look interesting at the same time. Of course a delivery box would get passed that requirement and provide the ability to hold items as well.

I hope you get the bike and sidecar built dogcatcher and ride it in safety. I know about the falling down and can't get up. Not a joyful moment.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
It's always amazed me that it can take so long to do so little. Had to make a new faux oil tank do to the seat stay being widened. Sand blasted the inside of the new gas tank and soldered in the end of it in. Little bit more to do on the oil tank and a mount on the gas tank for the bolt that holds them together.

Bought a kit to install nuts permanently that works like a rivet tool. I'll find out in a couple of days how well that works. Caswell is sending tank sealer to take care of the, how did I miss that, spot's

Have to weld a fender mount on the seat stays. The bike originally had a kick stand that was mounted in the bracket the runs from the bottom bracket to the chain stay. It is a piece of tubing on an angle that is brazed in but the metal around it is cracked so I split a piece of tubing and I'll weld it on either side of the mount to stiffen it up and cover the hole for the kick stand tubing.

I'll get it done on our next Happy Day. This is what my grand niece calls sunny days and who am I to argue with an almost 4 year old. I'll post photos in a couple of days.

Steve.