Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles

Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles Forum announcements and instructions for posting on motorbicycling.com. To start a new thread choose the appropriate area. No new threads can be started in this area

Old 03-24-2017, 03:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Re: Attention new members!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crassius View Post
any cruiser with gears and real brakes and 26' wheels is good - I tend to build the ones with smaller frames tho, as it is nice to get both feet flat on the ground
Ahhh that makes sense.

Where would you recommend I start? I'm looking to get my bike assembled within the next couple weeks...

Is it pretty easy to assemble on my own?
Old 03-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

It's easy to assemble on your own if you have something to break the chain and you're mechanically-oriented.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I was afraid My motor was locked up, and then discovered the chain had kinked under the front sprocket cover. This is My first build, but as soon as the chain had a few miles on it, it was fine. I had to take the cover completely off, to find the problem, I had looked into the cover with a flashlight and it looked ok, but it wasn't.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:20 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeTheNat View Post
Ahhh that makes sense.

Where would you recommend I start? I'm looking to get my bike assembled within the next couple weeks...

Is it pretty easy to assemble on my own?
"easy" is a relative term - depends on how handy you are with tools and doing the kinds of work the tools are for

one starts by reading a LOT on this board (paying special attention to what often happens to noobs in the 'troubleshooting' threads
Old 03-26-2017, 12:49 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I recently finished My first motorbike build! I'm 68 yrs old and have mechanical experience on My side. I thought the kit was easy to assemble, but decided to go with a few modifications, mainly for safety sake. First, I found that the commonly called "rag joint" left a lot to be desired. In My opinion, it is a poor design, and may work, but even properly done, think the spokes will loosen in a fairly short time. I also found the bolts and nuts provided in the kit were poor quality, and stripped out easily. I purchased a cnc sprocket adapter, with a 34 tooth sprocket. It was the wrong sprocket for me, so I had to purchase a 50 tooth, which works well for me. I'm heavy and not that interested in speed. I own a Harley, if I want to go faster. The sprocket adapter saved lots of time and trouble. I also bought a 12 gauge spoke rear wheel, because I had loosened several spokes in My stock Murray wheel, just by trying to install the rag joint. I also had to modify the idler pully, because it would not tighten down enough to stay put. It kept trying to go into the spokes, unsafe in my opinion. Other than those mods, the installation is easy! But I agree "easy" is a relative term!