20mm Walbro on a China Girl

GoldenMotor.com

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
The intake mounts at the same angle as the cylinder port - you can look straight through the carb in to the cylinder

Add the crankcase pulse line

I laser cut the carb flange to include the bracket for the cable,and cold formed it to locate the cable & return spring

Even the stock intake nuts still fit.

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
FF, That is nice work and excellent pics! I hope you do a follow up on your linkage and throttle. I feel that this is the downfall of the Walbro carb, unless your racing, the feel of a less than 1/4 turn throttle doesn't get it with me.

The tuning aspect is unbelievable from bottom to top and in my own opinion is the best that can be had with such ease. I even used a old piece of excercise equipment to run my back tire under load in the garage. No four stroking anywhere, no screwing around!

I will be very interested to see what you come up with for your throttle as i can not seem to eliminate it's total crap feel. Thanks, Skitch

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
The biggest problem with the throttle cable is a lack of a proper return spring.

Trying to use the OEM spring on the butterfly will only lead to frustration. Without enough spring pressure the cable drags in the housing & feels mushy.

I use a return spring with an adjustable preload, and fabricate the cable attach parts for the butterfly arm - smooth, consistent throttle operation is the result.

• Wow
Reactions: Crisco

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I don't think the saw kerf will leak much more than all of the damage from the broken rings & the missing chrome where the piston stuck. Should run as good as it ever did.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
This has to be the best idea i seen in a long time, with all the carb trouble people are having. Jet changing, moving C clips, trying two or three different carbs ( none fast then the other ). Don't have a china engine myself,but have others. And have used chain saws for years and never had trouble tuning like the guys do with china tuning, and they can be run on 4 stroke as well. Just turn the high and low jets a little for fine tuning. The big thing about 2 stroke is measuring the gas right and the same every time you fill ...........Curt

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
Cutting an old cylinder in half is an excellent learning tool.
This was a Yamaha Blaster cylinder cut apart as a learning tool:

From what I learned from it I stuffed it with several tubes of JBWeld epoxy in this manner (photoshopped):

Which in real life looked like this comparison:

The result was easier carb jet tuning because of fuel staying in suspension, wider powerband and of course, more power.
All gleaned from studying a sectioned cylinder.

Steve

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Where did you find that carb / what model is it? I've been having a hard time finding a non-return style carb with an external pulse line. You've found just what I'm looking for.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
You can also use the carbs with the internal pulse passage just by Dremeling a small channel/port into the manifolds carb mounting flange to allow the pulse in the intake to reach the port on the carb.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Sure, however It would be nice not to have to deal with a fuel return. The external pulse port is just the icing on the cake with this carb!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Can one just take the return line and hook it the main fuel line from the tank, instead of going all the way to the tank?.............Curt

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Porting the pulse circuit in to the intake is not the best plan.

The fuel pump was designed to work with the crankcase pressure pulse as well as the intake vacuum. That drives the diaphragm both directions.

With vacuum only, you get a half stroke of the fuel pump. This can make the high speed tuning very sensitive as the fuel pressure drops at WOT.

I have carbs and manifolds on the shelf. Just finished making a new batch of throttle arms too.