New Motor Destroyed

GoldenMotor.com

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
If it were mine I'd take off the top end and the magnet, get it to a part washing solvent tank and hold it upside down and use the solvent sprayer to wash out the bottom end real good.
I've never split the cases and don't really look forward to it.
That "often" works.
It is the whole pain of redoing all the work and money when it doesn't.
Motor can be split and reassembled in an hour with ease.
If it buggers up AGAIN you will be doing it anyway...

Steve

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
No I won't. I only bought this engine (perfectly reliable, BTW) since I had a circ problem in my leg. That has cleared up and I've been thinking of taking the engine and tank off and going back to bicycling the natchul way for the exercise. Besides, if it had a lot of trash in there I'd figure the damage is done and buy another one if I still wanted to buzzzz.

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
I've exploded piston skirts, had rod bearing disintegrate and even swallowed muddy water and had the bottom end survive once cleaned out. I did not take the bottom end apart after the muddy water. Just a good wash.

I used to gamble with an upside down spray years ago, I won some, I lost some. These days if bits go down in it, I take it apart.

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
I'll be tearing my scrap motor first and see how that goes. I 5x gasoline washed the bottom end of the motor and currently have it evaporating I checked with a light everything seems ok, ill give it a bottom end opening after I try it out on the screw motor. I am still waiting on the piston rings that were not sent as my replacements just got the cylinder and piston. Bekits ships kits very fast I get them in about 1 day. Replacement parts take like1-2 weeks to get here though not sure why.

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
The wash with gasoline is a very dangerous thing to do. Think "Flaming Monk". Better to use varsol, kerosene, diesel, or other less volatile solvent. I actually use water, laundry soap and the pressure washer a lot, then use the kerosene or varsol to flush the water out, and as Buba mentioned, finish with a bit of rustproofing light lube oil such as regular 2 stroke oil.

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
I should have mentioned I was washing it with a premix of like 24:1 gas that I made for the engine until it blew. Would it still require me to add oil just to be sure? Or was the premix ok. I assume it should be fine as it wasn't straight gas