ring question?

GoldenMotor.com

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
does the V-shape on the rings point up or down in the piston grooves? I replaced my rings and the v shape is pointing up at the little tit in the grooves. I have no power? in other words my ring looks like a V . I hope ya'll understand.

Attachments

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
The reason for the 'tit' and the groove on the rings is because they only line up one way, the tit will get in the way if the ring is upside down. I wonder if you just need to wear the rings into place to get more power by driving the bike and putting some miles on.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
You need to look at the inside edge of the rings. There should be one of the two inside corners with a 45* on it. That goes up so the compressed gases get behind it and push the ring outwards. You also need to put new rings inside the cylinder before the go on the piston and check the end gap. Where the ends of the ring come together it should be no more then half the thickness of the ring but they can't touch either or when they get hot the expansion will make them to long. The pins keep the ends from rotating into the port areas.

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
I also, replaced the piston. Is there any certain way it should point?What I mean is it possible that my exhaust port and my intake ports are backwards? I feel like something is not right. It just will not open up. does it matter where the ring stops are?

Last edited:

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
i just went and looked at another old motor i have and I believe my piston is on backwards. I don't know if this makes any difference.I was reading norms rebiuld post and he marked the piston to make sure which way it goes on rebuild. That tells me there is a forward and backward position. Maybe I have solved the problem? I noticed that when i got off it yesterday that air bubbles kept coming up into my fuel line.I had never noticed it doing that before. It looked like gas was flowing into carb and i thought where is all that gas going. When actually it was probably exhaust coming up not gas going out. I sure hope this is the problem because I am ready to drop this motor off a cliff!!!!!

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
The piston can go in backwards, I wouldn't worry about the bubbles unless your float is leaking and flooding the motor when your parked. You might look at Chris Hill's site. He has a great walkthru on putting the top end together.

Denver Dave

May 26, 2009
Queen City of the Plains
The reason you should mark the piston prior to removal is, if it has been run, the rings will have seated within the cylinder in that orientation. If you are working with a new piston/rings and, presumably, cylinder it doesn't matter so long as the there is no interference with the ports.

I took note of the factory orientation on a new motor and the tits were facing towards the intake port side of the head.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
One other thing to watch for on reassembly is to orient the ring gaps opposite each other. In other words don't line up the gaps on one side of the piston but make them 180 degress from each other. Good luck, keep us posted.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
One other thing to watch for on reassembly is to orient the ring gaps opposite each other. In other words don't line up the gaps on one side of the piston but make them 180 degress from each other. Good luck, keep us posted.
Tom
On this I stand corrected. Junster just PMed me with the information that these engines the Chinese 2 stroke, have self aligning rings. Apparently there is a pin in the ring groove that prevents two ring gaps from being lined up.. Thanks Junster for keeping me from giving bad information. Too much old hot rod stuff still floating around in my head.
Tom