Help With A Belt Drive!

GoldenMotor.com

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
OK... so Ive found the engine kit I want... a sweet little blacked out Jet 80cc, my frame is a HUGE 21.5 inch Iron Horse Warrior men's model, so there will be no problem with fitting the motor low in the frame.

The bike was built back in '06 with mostly state of the art Shimano parts.
My problem is that I run the big 280 mm rotor avid mechanical disc brakes, i really don't want to scrap my rear disc for a crappy "V" brake.

I want to run a belt drive instead of the bolt on sprocket that all these kits seem to come with, since the rear drive pulley will clear my rear brakes.
I'm sure a belt would be cleaner and much quieter

The GRUBE is the closest thing to a retrofit able belt drive but it costs way to much...$339.00? please...they insist on trying to sell me the clutch and adapter
(that i don't need)

All I need is a motor pulley that will fit on my jet motors output shaft, the 32 spoke rear pulley and the belt, I can make a tensioner out of a few u bolt clamps a piece of scrap 1/4 inch aluminum plate and an old skateboard wheel.

I've been told to give up on my belt drive idea and just purchase the sick parts shift kit, but no... I run a Shimano OCTALINK splined sealed bearing bottom bracket and the long 105 road bike style crank arms, two chain rings the inner one is the 39 tooth granny and the outer is the big mother jumping 52 tooth for high speed.
These were also very expensive parts that I don't want to scrap for the crappy square taper spindle, cheesy ball bearings and free wheels and those crappy looking chain rings and shorty crank arms.I need to keep my stronger bottom bracket and crank arms.
(I stand on my peddles allot)

HELP! I'm sure some one out there makes what I need... any help would be great!
Tom.M - aka - buzbikebklyn1
.duh.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
The Drivetrain mods you are talking about are going to require some custom fabrication as there are is currently no one offering such a system. The two main parts to probably pull it off are available from Golden Eagle (GEBE) I believe they sell their drivers for approx $30.00 and their driven Sheave for around $40.00 But thats just the start of what you will need. You will also need a new longer toothed belt as the GEBE belt isn't/won't be long enough to reach the driver on your frame mounted motor. Also because the belt does not come apart like a chain does getting it to clear your chain and seatstays is going to require some custom fabricated idler pulleys. Then you still need to modify the output on your motor to take the GEBE driver. There is a recent thread here from a member who put together a belt drivetrain for his occ chopper using one of the CAG motors from a pocket bike http://motorbicycling.com/f36/belt-drive-7772.html You might find it informative. You also might contact Jim at Creative Engineering/Manic Mechanic and see if he can do the mod of switching the output driver on the motor?

ocscully

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
The GEBE ring is a fragile plastic set-up (I bought one and sold it as I did not trust it, my buddy bought one and used it and it was not good for his 3HP motor). Also it is geared for a motor that is not geared down as much as the Happy Time China bike motor. You will need a smaller drive pulley at the wheel closer to what is used in the kit. You could go bigger at the motor and use the large GEBE plastic ring, but it would take a motor case modification I am not sure would work.