good(cheap) bike to start with? wally-world?..

GoldenMotor.com

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
good(cheap) bike to start with? wally-world?.. will this fit?..

finally ordered my first kit.. a "80cc" slant head kit..
But...
I don't even have a bike picked out yet...(lol?)

any suggestions in the $120-ish(usd) range?

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
noobtard;82451 any suggestions in the $120-ish(usd) range?[/QUOTE said:
JMO, THE best bike for that amount is a USED one.

With a little luck, you can find a used bike that originally sold for $500+. The very best in components and frame for cheap.

I bought a used Giant Rincon bike for $160. It looked like it came straight from the showroom.

I also bought a Giant dual suspension/duall disc/28-speed bike for $100. This one was in good condition and will replace my twin-engined monster.

My friend Hawaii Ed GAVE me an old Gary Fisher bike. Two new tires and I pedal it for exercise Monday thru Friday.

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
One of my first builds was on a Walmart Huffy $86.00,I personally put over 1200 miles on it all original components. I sold it 2 months ago, and it is still going strong.Good luck and have fun.usflg

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I usually find my bikes used on craigslist. Like it was mentioned above you can find some really expensive bikes with all the good components for really cheap prices. I don't ever spend over $50 and have purchesed some 3 to 4 hundred dollar bikes. I also watch for the Schwinn OCC bikes, but they are a little more of a challenge to build.
For your first build you may want to find an older style bike with the small frame tubing. Much easier to build for your first one. Motor will bolt right on without making motor mount changes.
Radius on motor is designed to bolt to 1 to 1 1/8" frame tube.

John

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
I got my Point Beach for $20 off Craigslist. Paint is in excellent condition with some rust on the chrome parts. Very easily restorable with minimum effort. I recently got a chrome springer for it, but still have to find the time to fit it up. My DAX kit, I bought for this bike, is still in the box. :oops:
My present obsession is with my ebikes. .elec. :D

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i got my schwinn delmar cruiser at walmart for $99,its a great bike the best ive ever had.
its a smooth and comfortable ride.but i did have to make custom engine mounts to hold my wide dualstart engine,but now my peddals clear the engine.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The suggestions for a used bike are sound but keep in mind that you'll need to go through it and make sure parts like bearings and brakes are up to the task of a motor. A popular bike that you'll see often here is the Schwinn Jaguar. Regular price at Target is $149. but often on sale for $124. There has been some talk about the Jag being discontinued but I also understand that the South Port is replacing it. Same bike, different color scheme. However like was stated above the cruiser style frames are a little harder to mount an engine to and the older 'V' frame road bikes lend themselves to motorizing quite well especially for the newbie . Good luck and let us know which bike you decide on....and send pictures.
Tom

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
The suggestions for a used bike are sound but keep in mind that you'll need to go through it and make sure parts like bearings and brakes are up to the task of a motor. A popular bike that you'll see often here is the Schwinn Jaguar. Regular price at Target is $149. but often on sale for $124. There has been some talk about the Jag being discontinued but I also understand that the South Port is replacing it. Same bike, different color scheme. However like was stated above the cruiser style frames are a little harder to mount an engine to and the older 'V' frame road bikes lend themselves to motorizing quite well especially for the newbie . Good luck and let us know which bike you decide on....and send pictures.
Tom
yup. just put a 66/80cc in my late 60's Grantsport. fits like it was made for it.. except the tensioner needs to be there to keep the chain out of the chainstay... 1 3/8" tire tho.. kinda skinny, but I'll ride it anyway

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
i got my schwinn delmar cruiser at walmart for $99,its a great bike the best ive ever had.
its a smooth and comfortable ride.but i did have to make custom engine mounts to hold my wide dualstart engine,but now my peddals clear the engine.
That's a great find for a new bike! I was just down at our local Wallyworld and the Delmars were priced at $145. If they were going for what you paid, I'd have opted to get one right then.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
yeah they had 2 single speed cruiser bikes to choose from that were left before they restocked the shelfs,they had a $86 beige huffy something or other cruiser with thin fenders and no rear rack and a $99 black scwhinn delmar cruiser with full fenders and rear rack. so i went with the scwhinn which i liked better.

Attachments

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I say you should find a used Chicago Schwinn cruiser! (pre 1980)
They are very strong, & old Schwinns ARE THE COOLEST!!!
Check out the old Schwinns on my website!!!

dnutdnutdnutdnut