4-stroke Honda or Harbor Freight in FELT 1903-Questions; Anyone done it?

GoldenMotor.com

wildwestrider

Apr 17, 2009
Austin, Tejas
I just found a Felt 1903 locally yesterday in Austin,.....left out in the weather, tires yellowed, chrome is lightly rusty, stripped bolt at Coaster brake and flat tire.....had to drill out the screw for the coaster brake to get it apart.

I want to install a 4 stroke in the frame and will convert the top tube to a fuel tank......

Has anyone installed either a Honda or Harbor Freight 4 stroke in to a Felt Cruiser frame?

1-Any suggestions for a mounting cradle/plate?

2-Suggestions for drive train? (Belts drive would be nice,...but....I'm thinking that it will be a problem.)

3-I'm guessing I will need the wider pedal crank set to get around this wide(r) engine when I want or need to pedal-comments on this?

4-Any thoughts on whether the Sick Bike Parts Gear changer jackshaft and front crank freewheel set up would work with a 4-stroke? anyone done that....they only show 2 stroke engines on their web page.

5-how about exhaust for one of these engines....I would like a long pipe with the exhaust out by the rear axle.

Brian in Austin

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Hello,

Could you provide links to the engines you are considering? Converting the top tube is a bit of work to do properly so you want to make sure your plan will work. Are you aware that the frame is aluminum on the 1903?

Just curious, Did you 'find' the bike or did you purchase it?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy WWR, welcome. The HF engine could work but shaft would have to be cut down to fit even in wide cranks. Easy way would be to buy a Honda or HS and a mount kit. Honda is 3 times the cost of HF But I really enjoy mine. Even at top end, it just hums along.
Small Engine Warehouse - Repower Outdoor Power Equipment
and 49cc Mounting Kit Only - $219.99 @BE.com comes with every thing needed to mount including a muffler. Just pointing to an option and not suggesting. Post pics of your build!

Last edited:

wildwestrider

Apr 17, 2009
Austin, Tejas
"Found" it on Craigslist....bought it for $200......wondered if I had paid too much....however,....after about 4 hours of work drilling out the Coaster brake bolt, removing the wheels, patching the tire, removing the fenders and wheel reflectors,....Flipping the handle bars over....and a bit of cleaning and polishing....(used half a can of comet cleanser trying to bring the Quick Brick Cremes back closer to the correct look.......the bike is starting to look like the basis of something interesting.

Anyone know if the Honda GHX50 engine will fit in the 1903 frame with a mounting plate like the one Bicycle engines.com sells?

I would really like to do a simple belt drive primary and secondary....anything out there that might work??.....(I've sent Quenton 2 emails but never heard back)

A CVT ?

The Felt is a single speed with coaster brake hub.....I would like to stay with the Felts 2" wide black rim with their 12 gauge black stainless spokes............I suppose I can lace in a multi cog hub and use the Sick Bike Parts Jackshaft/free wheel set up.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
CVT would work. Lots of jury rigging but would be way cool inframe. Rag joint would be simple. Sky and imagination are the only limits. Wish I knew where to get belt drive parts. I would build with em! Also Firebelly and SBPs is working on a gearbox for 4 smokers. (I am as well but is far from in production)

The big problem is the wide cranks allow 9" Stock peddles are 5" The Honda GX50 with a Grubee GB will fit. (I don't enjoy the width but love that engine!)

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I sure do love the Felts! I'm trying to talk my Uncle Phred into having us build a "Bultaco" Felt for him.
There's a few ways to do the tank set up and it doesn't seem very difficult at all!
The FireBelly Hard box is designed w/ jackshafting in mind! It can be fitted w/ 7(ish):1 gearing instead of the normal 4(ish):1, a lower rpm clutch, a longer output shaft, and a right side bearing support.
SBP is working on jackshafting just about everything on the planet. A couple of real Jackshafters!(^)

wildwestrider

Apr 17, 2009
Austin, Tejas
Where can I find that firebelly Hardbox?

I sure do love the Felts! I'm trying to talk my Uncle Phred into having us build a "Bultaco" Felt for him.
There's a few ways to do the tank set up and it doesn't seem very difficult at all!
The FireBelly Hard box is designed w/ jackshafting in mind! It can be fitted w/ 7(ish):1 gearing instead of the normal 4(ish):1, a lower rpm clutch, a longer output shaft, and a right side bearing support.
SBP is working on jackshafting just about everything on the planet. A couple of real Jackshafters!(^)

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
West, Awsum. It Looks New. Did You Repaint It?? One Of "manic Machanic Engines Would Really Look Good. He Needs A Few More Pre-orders. They Will Be The Best!! Imho. He Is A Great Asset To Us . Cool Bike For Sure. Ron

wildwestrider

Apr 17, 2009
Austin, Tejas
Sorry, might have missed something.....what is "West"?

Bike doesnt look that good in person.....all the chrome has surface rust and lots of scratches on the paint....will just take time to clean those things up but not until the build is done........

Are you saying that someone is building/manufacturing a new 4 stroke engine (manic mechanic???)

Brian

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Brian, West? Was Refering To You Usier Name. Did Not Have My Glass`s On, Sorry About That. You Are Starting Out With A Much Desired Bike. I Have To Leave For The Airport In 5 Min. Will Catch You Later. He Is Making A Cnc Copy Of The China Girl. There Are Some Fantastic Felt Builds On The Forum. Some Are Going To The 4 Strokes For Less Hassel, But The China Girls Looks So Much More Like A "motorpoweredbicycle" ( My Website=started-wrong Pic Though!). Look ("creative Engeneering" ="manic Mechanic") Over When You Get A Chance. I Will Pm You Later. Ron

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Thanks Dan! Wildwestrider pm me or email through my website for more info I'd be happy to build you one for a jack shaft set up! They are ready to ship this week!

Attachments

Last edited: