Oh, SNAP! Dollar Store Octane Booster!

GoldenMotor.com
Feb 2, 2017
California
Hahaha........ OK, I think I'm gonna try those dollar store octane booster and see if I'll get any type of performance gain from my motor. Anyone tried it before? What's your take on it? They're only a buck a bottle. I'm a baller on a budget. :p

dance1

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hahaha........ OK, I think I'm gonna try those dollar store octane booster and see if I'll get any type of performance gain from my motor. Anyone tried it before? What's your take on it? They're only a buck a bottle. I'm a baller on a budget. :p
High octane fuel is not a magic performance gain.

Higher octane fuel will only give you a performance gain if
your motor has the compression to take advantage of it.

It's all about stopping detonation with high octane fuel.
If a race motor is designed to use race fuel running on a
lower octane will damage it.

Running a low compression motor on race fuel is just a waste
of money and race fuel actually has less energy than say 91.

Those octane boosters are junk, maybe raise the octane a few
fractions of a point.

Feb 2, 2017
California
MotorBicycleRacing....... I was just having a little fun there, I know higher octane fuel doesn't give you performance unless you're running high compression and it will help with the denotation issue. I got a question for you though, I have some VP Racing high octane fuel, you think it's safe to mix it with regular pump gas to get a certain octane range that you are looking for? I ask because some say it's not a problem while others are against it....... you probably know but the VP Racing is leaded, just curious on your take.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

A common misconception is that power output or fuel efficiency can be improved by burning fuel of higher octane than that specified by the engine manufacturer. The power output of an engine depends in part on the energy density of the fuel being burnt. Fuels of different octane ratings may have similar densities, but because switching to a higher octane fuel does not add more hydrocarbon content or oxygen, the engine cannot develop more power.

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
You are just chasing your tail.
MBR is right on all accounts.
Yes you can mix leaded racing fuel to get a certain octane level, but why?
Compression high enough to need 93 octane will damage your plating. Why go more?

I've built a lot of engines over the years and have found octane is not a replacement for good design. I ran a 10:1 compression Ford 351 Cleveland on regular back in the days (1980s) when we couldn't get anything but regular. I run a 13.8 second 18psi turbo SVO on pump fuel. Proper cam or port timing and combustion chamber shape can tame combustion pressures while making huge power.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
MotorBicycleRacing....... I was just having a little fun there, I have some VP Racing high octane fuel, you think it's safe to mix it with regular pump gas to get a certain octane range that you are looking for? I ask because some say it's not a problem while others are against it....... you probably know but the VP Racing is leaded, just curious on your take.
Sorry, I don't know about mixing them.
Ask VP Racing.
How would you know what octane your mix had?