anyone else having trouble finding new bicycles to buy?

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Bought several a month or so ago and all are 'out of stock' now. Customer came in a couple days ago with a kent glendale that is like a magna great divide and the build was easy, but I can't find any of those either. Just built a schwinn majestic & huffy fresno and can;t find more and those are a bit pricey anyway.

Too many hours of work to get a used bike in shape and they usually look like crap anyway, and I don't build coaster brake bikes.

Is this happening elsewhere, or just around here?

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Hmmm.....I haven't noticed it. But then I haven't been in the market, either.

I have noticed, over the years, though that some particular model that's just right doesn't seem to stay on those shelves very long. You'll find something similar, but with changes that you don't necessarily welcome.

Still, I'm guessing that you're experiencing some sort of disruption in deliveries or stocking that'll smooth out given a bit of time.

Scooter58

Aug 21, 2015
Planet Earth
I used a Micargi for my last build. Steel frame and as good as any of the others mentioned. They have them on Amazon and Ebay for reasonable prices. I got the Touch and really like it.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I don't care much for the looks of micargi, and certainly couldn't build one that sells under $500 here where prices are more usually $295 to $400.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Sell under $500!?

For that much a person would be lucky to get a cranbrook with coaster brakes and a half-running china girl! I spent over $500 building a GT2-A, and that was with free donor bikes!

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
The shipping would kill us or I would offer to pick them up around here for you. If need be let me know and I can try to find what you need. I had my last Caraci shipped from California and the importer got it done for $16. I know here the competition has complete motorized bikes for $399 brand new so yea it can be tough in some areas to make a profit.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I build full reinforced fenders, lowered chain guards on both sides, comfortable seats, v brakes on both wheels, custom wiring to hide CDI unit, 7 speed derailers, and rear fender folded in rather than cut for chain clearance. All on brand new bikes, that have been ridden enough to make all adjustments for cable & chain stretch. Also includes a mirror.

Unfortunately, my prices are a bit high & ads have been up for well over 6 weeks or so.

the huffy at $475
fres-l.jpg
fres-r.jpg

and majestic at $525
majestic-l.jpg
majestic-r.jpg

around here folks don't know not to buy the coaster cruiser with a crappy build thron on by high school kids

EDIT: after pics were taken, red trim was added to tanks on both

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Yep...must be a seasonal thing. I have been using Walmart sold Kent 29ers for the past couple of years. I had a tensioner "mishap" last week that destroyed my rim. I expected to waltz in to Walmart and pluck my desired ride off the vine, but the place was clean-out. I live in the NYC metropolitan area too, and there are local Walmarts a-plenty; they're all outta stock. End o' Summer stock-exhaustion?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yeah, I'm spending a LOT of time online & finding nothing anywhere except folks on amazon selling used bikes at $75 more than target & walmart usually sell new ones for : (

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Hmm I'm wondering why we have bikes here in Tucson. We have the U of A that just went back in session and that's 40,000 college kids that a decent portion of get bikes yet the Wal-Mart's still have stock of at least what they normally carry. I'm picking up a Cranbrook Friday for a build and I have choice of color. A few of you on this thread have helped me before so feel free to message me if I can give a hand somehow.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I've been considering a gt2-a frame, but using these aluminum wheels:

http://www.gasbike.net/cnc-aluminum-wheels-silver-4231-prd1.html

Looks like they may have disc mounts built in, and centering a rag joint would be a thing of the past. Also, no need for a hub adapter.
That is not a Grubee GT2 frame, it's cheap knock-off prone to frame breakage gasbike sells using the Grubee part names.

If you are considering a real GT2 frame, the new 2015 version with rear disc brake and support for up 3" wide tires are on their way to the US now.

bicycle-engines.com bought a bunch.

Otherwise well, I have problems finding the bikes I want to build on too.
Good luck finding a 7-speed Fito.