Engine cutting out

GoldenMotor.com

ballinchestr

Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
It's a 49cc 2stroke, I'm gonna guess about 350 or so miles on it. While going mid throttle and faster, the engine acts like someone is pressing the killswitch for a couple seconds, and then releasing it. At first I thought it was just me forgetting to turn on the fuel petcock, but that's not it. It's definitely getting fuel, and electrical connections are fine. This on and off thing happens until I pull the clutch. It doesn't do it while idling or revving.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
First guess would be fuel starvation. A clogged or partially clogged fuel delivery system. Maybe the in-tank fuel filter that screws into the petcock?

Second guess would be the kit supplied spark plug boot. They are notorious for bad electrical connections. I'd certainly replace it with a good automotive quality boot and throw that plastic thing that came with your engine in the trash where it belongs. You'll need a new boot and a new spark plug with the top cap installed.

Let us know if these suggestions help.

Tom

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I had a trouble starting my engine more recently and then while 7 miles out it cut out. What I found was I just had a spark plug gasket I expect got flattened from so many times being removed an re-tightened, it started to loosen just ever so slightly and also I saw the carbon bit of dirty area near one side of the plug at the head. It would restart when the engine cooled off. I expect the contraction of the metal of the head was why it could restart. Now it has a new plug, and the special plug wrench that I can use to get a better grip, even if I do not remove the engine I can be sure to get it torqued right. The plug height was a slightly shorter one. A ratchet type wrench will not fit unless engine removed.

I was going to set the intake valve to not reflect the Easy-Spin starting technology of Briggs, as I don't like loosing compression with the intake valve still opened during the first portion of the compression stroke. I now think it is OK and I have another concern that dust entered the cylinder when the plug leaked and now oil is getting past the rings to the top of the piston. Just there is no smoky exhaust and it is running fine, I'll just see on the next few times out if it will be much further out in the future to hone and de-glaze, and put in new rings.

Last edited: