please help!! I wanna buy this bike&engine tommrrow !!

GoldenMotor.com

mikeab13

Apr 12, 2015
fort myers fl
2door: I thought if I wake the neighbors that their yelling will push me forward!! I thought opening it up taking out the crimped part an reinstalling the cap helped but I trust you an calibikes has expansion chamber for 20 free shipping. BUT I'm going to ride this Lil China girl for 1-2months or 400miles before I vet chamber to see if it makes a dif. I don't know if you and Dave read I think I messed up the bearings so I'm going to replace them.... Which means more waiting. But this culd be a good think. That sweet ass motor you sent me has had some work done including the exhaust opened a little and the wider gasket to match. So I praticd on my old muffler with my dremel an I think I can take gasket lay it on new muff, sharpie the excess to have a smooth exhaust. I already ground down the sharp edges on the outside of muff so in next couple days I'll finish.

Davezilla: hey I'm glad you mentioned speed carb. What's up with the filter?? Mines almost a solid piece of plastic with only little holes in the back to let air in. Is this not restrtive?? Should I get a cone like stated above? If so which one the k&m that u oil?
2: with the C-clip should I put it one up from bottom or one down from top? I live in fl so almost under sea level lol.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Mike, I think two down from the top is where most end up being. So there or three down is a good place to start. Easy enough to change anyway. A bit fiddly the first few times but you'll get pretty quick at it in time.

Those speed carbs can breath ok. If you take the red cover off you'll see where the spaces are for air to get in. You can also drill a few holes in that red cover if you feel it's needed, but take the cover off first or that little foam filter will twist around the drill bit and be destroyed. But that's an easy fix if it happens.

So it sounds like you want to take the cap off the muffler, get in there and remove some of the catalytic converter (crimped part)? Some of those mufflers have that whole baffle and "cat" part welded in so it might be too big a job.

There's a good thread about drilling into the muffler cap and by that they mean that bottom end in your photo.

Also about mufflers, Tom pointed out that you should check the flange to see if the weld will interfere with the nuts when you bolt it up. I checked mine and sure enough the weld was not allowing the nuts to snug up flush against the flange. That situation would allow the muffler to vibrate and move and eventually break or mangle the exhaust studs. Always heed Tom's advice and that's about the best advice that I can give you.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I don't think the wants to run the muffler with the end cap off, I think he just wants to remove the baffle.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
There's some performance to be had by removing the end cap then drilling 4 5/16" holes thru the end cap, it makes a noticeable difference mainly with acceleration and torque, and you might gain a mph or 2 as well. The noise level will go up some but it'll still be quiet enough to not annoy anyone. It's just a bit louder than stock but quieter than running it without the end cap.

I did this to a customer's bike and it worked out really well since the bike had a noticeable power increase and he didn't even notice the sound difference.

mikeab13

Apr 12, 2015
fort myers fl
Chas: thanks man I'm going to set it now because its going to be at least a week to fix bearings. Also I did notice that on the muff near the holes I think you called it the flange.yes it is not losing flat against the engine so I got the old(new lol) dremel out an smoothed the edges. I am also in the process of opening the exhaust opening on the pipe to match the opening on the engine without getting to close to the bolts to cause weakness.

Dtv: hey did you get my pm. I want those parts but I want you to get paid man so put it back on an if I can get up their imma get em!

Dave!!: I think if I find a bit for the dremel at the pawn shop for a doller or two imma do it! Also I haven't been on your other thread just this one so how's the other bike coming along!?! Last time I checked you were powder coating. Did you paint it yet or is the shop keeping you busy?

? For everyone: you think when I should drill holes in the speed carb red piece or ride it first an see how the air flow is an just wait tell break in tell I start to tinker?

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I don't think the wants to run the muffler with the end cap off, I think he just wants to remove the baffle.
The end cap and the tube on it IS the baffle. Now, there is a honeycone baffle way up inside where the pipe welds on. So there are actually two baffles in the pipe. one you can remove and one ya cant. If I can find a pic of the shorty pipe I made I'll show ya what I mean.
fatdaddy.usflg

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I've had really good luck with customer's bikes just by drilling the extra holes in the end cap and leaving everything inside the muffler alone. What's inside these mufflers is a few plates welded to the tube to act as baffles and the pipe it's self is capped off with a both welded to the end and it has several holes drilled into the side of the pipe inside the can. This all flows well enough when using a stock or mildly ported engine, it just doesn't have the ability to exit due to a very small outlet pipe.
There's no need to cut the small pipe welded to the end cap short, just drill the extra holes and you'll get some extra torque and gain a mph or 2 while staying quiet. Any further mods to the exhaust is best done by getting a better pipe with an expansion chamber. These can be made surprisingly quiet by capping off the outlet and welding a stinger pipe into the belly section. There are a few videos out there demonstrating how quiet this type setup is and this gives the best of both worlds since you get much better performance with a stock like noise level. The only drawback to side bleed pipes is they can be bulky and can also be difficult to make look good.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
Some of the kit mufflers come with removable honeycomb baffles, but you can also cut the pipes with the non removable baffles apart and still get the honeycomb out, them weld the pipe back together. I cut a pipe apart and got the honeycomb baffle out once and put it back together. I also had another bike that had a puch hi-hi head and a torquer pipe from arrow. The bike with the gutted stock pipe and stock head performed noticeably better than the bike with the puch head and torquer pipe. But I now have a pipe where the honeycomb baffle just slides right out and I've already removed it. But I'm not even going to use this pipe since I'm not building a kit bike. It was given to me along with a slew of other parts and two junked frames. I was going to try to get a running bike out of the deal, but I didn't realize how bad of a shape the two frames were in until I brought them home and they weren't salvageable without spending money I did not have, which defeated the purpose of getting a free bike, since any money I would have had would've gone into my custom project, and the whole reason I picked up the free bikes was because I didn't have money to finish my custom project. Anyway, I'm babbling. I don't know if everyone will have the same results as I did, but the gutted stock pipe performed much better for me than the torquer pipe.

mikeab13

Apr 12, 2015
fort myers fl
Hey everyone Looonnnggg time. Sorry to everyone following this thread the last 3 weeks were to say the least an Fing disaster. A lot of bad stuff turned worse. Been in out of the hospital for my son wife an then myself. On top of this things at work went crazy an then the cherry. W family emergency 700miles away. BUT silver lining. Ran into a friend of mine from school. Total gear head. He was gracious enough to fix my car for free which was amazing because it was going to cost 900. At the shop. An now, in return, that old beater engine I orginaly got I gave to him an he cleaned up.an is going to install on his old bike, and FINALLY install mine!!!!!!!!! But he said I must help out an do most the work he's jus going to walk me threw it. Soooooooo. Excited. Will get back on soon. Hope everyone's doing good an I hope to talk to my motor biking friends. I've really missed u guys see you all tomorrow.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good to see you, Mike. Sorry for the hurdles in life. We all have them from time to time. Hope yours is behind you.
Keep us informed with the progress on the bike and, keep in touch.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
site fails

seems to die about the time a third party script tries to assign a tracking ID for SEO

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Do you ever wonder what happens to guys who just disappear?
One day they can't get enough of motorized bikes and the next they're gone and we never hear from them again.

The OP must have gotten what he came here for, then vanished. Odd thing is he was here as late as the 9th of this month but hasn't posted since August. Go figure.

Tom

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
happens a lot at my place - kinda like when 'puters first came out and everyone was going to balance their checkbook, but within a few weeks it was sitting in closet

lot of folks buy one, ride three times and decide it ain't for them - I guess that sometimes just getting up 1/2 hour earlier to get to work on time is too much for them