first build. so damn optimistic

GoldenMotor.com

cserpico

Jan 2, 2015
illinois
So I know this is nothing special, and I know NOTHING about 2 stroke engines but I am learning, largely due to this forum, and I hope to eventually make this a really sweet bike. I am already planning to build another on a better frame but for now I want to push this one to its limit. So far it is just a basic china girl on a pretty cheap mountain bike frame but I still love it dearly and plan to add a bunch of high performance parts and such and turn it into a champ.
.shft.

cserpico

Jan 2, 2015
illinois
I don't regularly post photos on the web so I don't know how to make them blow up bigger but I think you get the gist.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Well done. You can always move the engine kit to another bike. The lower cost, tensile steel frames often ride smoother than pricier butted aluminum and chromo steel frames.
-Seems like there was a TV show in the 70s called "Serpico".

mr42ndstblvd

Nov 10, 2013
oklahoma
it looks like your running fenders my only advise is to make sure thoose things are mounted solidly! if you have to have them and plan to ride everyday a good buddy who got me started on motorized bikes got thrown off his bike and broke his wrist because he left his fenders on his bike and the bolt fell out and the fender wedge into the tire and it flipped the bike over. so keep thoose checked! also after about the first month check your head nuts get the appropriate socket and check them if there loose give them a few turns till there snug but not to much or they will snap after about a month on a new build the nuts back off a little and you might get air leaking out thru your head it will make a loud popping noise when started

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
it looks like your running fenders my only advise is to make sure thoose things are mounted solidly! if you have to have them and plan to ride everyday a good buddy who got me started on motorized bikes got thrown off his bike and broke his wrist because he left his fenders on his bike and the bolt fell out and the fender wedge into the tire and it flipped the bike over. so keep thoose checked! also after about the first month check your head nuts get the appropriate socket and check them if there loose give them a few turns till there snug but not to much or they will snap after about a month on a new build the nuts back off a little and you might get air leaking out thru your head it will make a loud popping noise when started
I agree but only 2 words come to mind here... Torque Wrench...

And you can get them cheap enough at Harbor Freight so you can be sure all your bolts are tightened evenly and not too tight or too loose.

For the fender situation, I fully agree, check them often if ya plan on keeping them. A little blue locktite won't hurt either. These things will hurt you if not checked often, not only the torque, but the condition of the bolts as the engine vibes can saw thru the bolts if left unchecked so inspect the bolts themselves about once every 10 hours of run time.

cserpico

Jan 2, 2015
illinois
Haha I was hoping no one would notice the fenders. I ordered them on amazon and they are way too thin so I didn't even finish mounting them but I thought that looked nice at the right angle so I snapped a few pictures before I took them back off. I am going to send them back.

cserpico

Jan 2, 2015
illinois
Well done. You can always move the engine kit to another bike. The lower cost, tensile steel frames often ride smoother than pricier butted aluminum and chromo steel frames.
-Seems like there was a TV show in the 70s called "Serpico".
It was a movie starring al paccino about the famous cop Frank Serpico who is actually my dads second cousin, and thank you!

mr42ndstblvd

Nov 10, 2013
oklahoma
dont not run fenders just because we said its bad if you like they way they look make them work :) also if you plan to ride when its wet out fenders are a huge plus so think about whats best in your situation

cserpico

Jan 2, 2015
illinois
dont not run fenders just because we said its bad if you like they way they look make them work :) also if you plan to ride when its wet out fenders are a huge plus so think about whats best in your situation
No, I am going to put some fenders on her, these ones just aren't the right size. I already shipped them back to the seller. My tires are a good half inch wider than the fenders. I just snapped some pics from some decent angles before I took them back off.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Nice looking bike. I'd say that fenders are a must for anyone who wants to use these bikes as serious transportation.

For someone who only wants to ride in fair weather, then I'd say that fenders are best left off.

But for those who want or need fenders, then they must be reinforced and mounted well. Or they can give you much worse than just a broken wrist.

One other piece of advice. You don't have to do it just because I say so. But I've still gotta say it. I'd urge you not to add the performance parts. I just don't think it's safe to ride these bikes like that.

I'd urge you to keep it stock and use it as a putt-putt.

It's still fun. It's a whole lot cheaper. And it doesn't push the safety envelope.

Best of luck with it and have fun.