What's Walmart Trying to Tell Us?

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yesterday I was hanging out in the bicycle section of Walmart, and I came across this display. Bicycles, and first aid kits?!!!

I guess Mark Twain was right when he said, “Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live.” LOL

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Doesn't seem like a good tie-in, does it? It's true that having a good first aid kit on a bike is a good idea. But it's not the sort of thing you stress when you're trying to sell bicycles.

Who hires these people?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I carried a very small first aid kit when mountain biking in the Phoenix area. We rode in areas where there was nothing to fall on but rock and cactus (we carried little pliers to pull out the needles}.
There were times when we would carry electrical tape to close up cuts until we could get down the mountain to a clinic. Unlike a band-aid, you could wrap the tape round and round, tighter and tighter until the bleeding stopped; or a least slowed down.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow WB. The thought of the pliers just sounded like ouch. And I ripped of the tip of a finger and folded it back on. Then used duct tape and a paper towel to hold it on.

LOL, my shop first aid kit still consists of tape and paper towels.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Actually there's something in duct tape that helps promote healing and disinfects the wound, I've even seen certain bandaid brands where they make them out of duct tape instead of the typical tan plastic tape or cloth.

Another good addition to any small first aid kit is superglue, it bonds to skin almost instantly and if ya ever got your fingers glued together you know just how well it holds, this stuff is great if you get a cut bad enough for stitches since it'll hold the wound shut until you can get to the emergency room, then they usually have the stuff to get the glue off since they do get their number of visits due to people accidentally supergluing their fingers together etc.

I do have a pretty well stocked first aid kit at my shop, but those items are also always availible in the shop as well.

For a small kit you can carry with you on a bike, one of those mini rolls of duct tape, a small unopened tube of superglue, gauze pads, and some ointment that contains benzocaine (the benzocaine helps numb road rash) an well as some steri strips and a small pouch with about 10 Q tips would be nice and compact but well enough equipped to get ya fixed up ntil you can get some real treatment.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
That display is bizarre.
I would suspect that it is marketing aimed at over-protective parents, but I don't see helmets and knee pads anywhere in that pic.

Very colorful, though, since the girl's bike has white tires, red rims and neon green pedals and spokes.

Giving anyone new MB design ideas?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
We had a Loctite rep come to were i worked, demoing. Had one guy super glue his finger to the side of his nose. You can't pull it off but you can roll it lose.

Just had my nose super glued with super glue from the Doc. a couple weeks ago (Don't ask )

Also use electrical tape to tie down loads on top of my car and other things. It is actuall stronger then some rope if you malti layer it. ( just try and break it )

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Corporate Conglomerate being anti bicycle again.

Buy your stuff at Lowes instead, then your money is going more directly to NASCAR.

Billy Mack certainly did take all those francs and ran!

trialnerror

Oct 21, 2014
wisconsin
the first aid kit is for the parents, when they pull out their hair and punch themselves in the face for buying their kids those wallyworld bikes.

Last edited: