Fill er up

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Well, you've certainly got a classy looking ride there.

Wouldn't it be horrible if fuel prices got to where you couldn't afford to ride it? What are we gonna do?

We might have to put our bikes in the living room as conversation pieces.

I wonder if my wife would be okay with that?

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I keep a bag of change in my backpack for fuel-costs. Nothing's better than going back for your change from $2 in quarters.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
LOL... I remember back when I was a kid and would drive my go kart up to the filling station and ask for 50 cents worth of regular... the look on the attendant's face was priceless until they saw I was filling up a 2 quart tank on a go kart.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yes, nice ride!

I like to ride up to a pump and complain to the SUV next one over that I had just put a dollar in last week.

Get some great reactions

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Yeah I filled up next to a coworker in an suv, he's like how much does that hold? You get how many miles?!! Lmfao

He wasn't amused.

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
I really need to get me a 4 stroke so I don't have to worry about the mixing crap. Would love it up here....heck even with the 2 stroke people are wondering what the heck these things are.

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
Our motorized bicycles do sip fuel, but they are not really very fuel efficient. The two concepts are not necessarily the same.

Just to put it into perspective, my performance modded Harley Sportster 1200 gets 58 mpg. My Honda CT90 gets 100 mpg. That's the same mpg as my motorized bicycle, but the CT90 does it while traveling at twice the speed and being much more robust. Also, I haven't checked it but the Honda factory rated the CT90 at 170 mpg at a steady 25 miles per hour.
Lastly, my Cummins diesel powered Dodge 2500 truck can haul 10 motorized bicycles and their riders, while getting 22 mpg.
So while I enjoy riding and tinkering with my motorized bicycle, I'm not smug about it.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Our motorized bicycles do sip fuel, but they are not really very fuel efficient. The two concepts are not necessarily the same.
I agree, and there are a few factors.
The right amount of power to drive the given load,
and mechanical leverage.

A 49cc 4-stroke jackshafted to an internal 3-speed hub is an amazingly economical machine to commute on, get aerodynamic even more so.

Comparing cars and motorcycles to direct drive MB's isn't fair unless you put your machine in one gear and leave it there for the whole gallon test ;-}

Speaking of gas prices, I wonder what all those Keystone pipeline investors and politicians (same thing I'd bet) are thinking as the price of oil keeps dropping.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...I like to ride up to a pump and complain to the SUV next one over that I had just put a dollar in last week.

Get some great reactions
One of my faves indeed Dan, but it happens so rarely w/this ride that when I must say the same it's "I had just put a dollar in last... jeez, ya'kno I don't even remember" lol, the reactions you're familiar with heh;

200mpg+ pedal/electric/49cc four;

What's a laugh riot is when I very rarely but sometimes need do this & when I do I get at least 5x the fuel as the taddy above doesn't even have quite a gallon on board (it's for the picky two smokers);

ebike at the pumps FTW;

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"ebike at the pumps FTW;" Har, lol BA.

Wow, 200 MPG. That is very cool. Really is an amazing piece of engineering.

When I get around to a proper ebike, gonna do a batt swap/solar thing. See if I can do off the grid entirely.

Never to early to prep for zombies!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It used to cost 65 cents to fill my Honda 90 with Super Shell when I was a kid. It held 2 gallons.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
"ebike at the pumps FTW;" Har, lol BA.

Wow, 200 MPG. That is very cool. Really is an amazing piece of engineering.

When I get around to a proper ebike, gonna do a batt swap/solar thing. See if I can do off the grid entirely.

Never to early to prep for zombies!
Thankee Dan, ya prolly remember this lil gizmo but it's proved far handier then I thought it would be, threw it together outa scraps & leftovers jus' for the lols & now wonder how I ever managed without it? I should caution that if you haven't already the widgets, it's cheaper to buy one of those automotive "jump start packs" & a coupla photovoltaic panels, it's pretty much the same thing;

It's in no way practical to expect it to fully recharge the T3's 10ah LiFePO4 packs... it would eventually I s'pose, but it'd be filling a swimming pool w/a squirt gun lol but what it does do (other'n standalone ofc) is quite nicely offset even replenish all the juice the taddy provides for a campsite... or my house ...again (ah, winter in Maine).

With an inverter & all sortsa converters onboard I've every common voltage available, from 1.5DC (AA rechargeable etc) to 110AC, the T3 serving as the main power supply, the lil power pack above plugged into the taddy to trickle charge it back up during the daylight hours. Sure, I could run it dead I s'pose... but I've cranked the tunes (baby amp & subs inc), run lighting, recharged & run cam, unphone & laptop, 12v air compressor (mattress/tires) & w/e else any other happy camper needs some zot back into, for as long as a three (four) day weekend trip w/o any problems so far.

Even if I did manage to drain the power pack deaders (wouldn't be hard, the air comp is hungry), the taddy itself has an onboard 12v lighting & charging system (the four stroke's), which with another converter trickle charges the main LiFePO4 system. If that's still not enough I can put the T3 up on it's center stand, start the four smoker, drop it in gear & engage the ehub's regenerative braking - which is bypassed with an either/or switch (with or without brake lever) for exactly that reason.

I've not actually ever needed that last "taddy as a genny" setup, but I figured all the bits were already there so why not tinker 'em together - it tested out jus' ducky high idling in 3rd for about an hour or so, let's hope I never actually need it though because prolly zombies :p

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The gas station I use around the corner is one of those huge ones with like 24 dual side pumps.

When I was just building my first electric trike I needed some gas for 2-stroke builds and took the trike up to fill the cans.

I think I ended up spending like 1/2 an hour answering questions and I enjoyed it ;-}