Anyone have a review on SBPs' Electric shift kit?

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
A good review and I'm glad.

I can't tell you anything more about this product. Other than that it grabbed my attention when I first noticed it a few months ago.

This is the sort of thing that could get, and already has gotten, me to think about electrics again.

It's genius and I hope it's successful.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
I agree Blue, I've been eyeing this for sometime hoping someone around here would have a build thread on the darn thing. Buying a battery that puts out 35 continuous amps will be expensive, do I need a bike with gears? How many gears is to many?

I'd kinda like to install one on my leftover Dyno but its a single speed, it would probably be a blast on the Rockhopper. I guess I should talk with Paul and get the skinny on his product. This would be a HUGE expenditure of money for me and I will need to get it right the first time.

Dan.

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Thanks Dan. Like any of our products we will support any issue you have. If you need help or have a problem, we are not going anywhere. We understand this is a large chunk of change, so we try to make our margin as low as possible. On our side, it took a LARGE chunk of capital to buy all the parts. So obviously we want this product to succeed. To our surprise we are running low on 48V kits!

Our only error so far, is the supplied chainrings (two 44's) for the 48V kit were just too high geared, the compact 48V motor while very strong, loves to live at higher RPM's as it gets quite hot if not spinning. Easily remedied. We now supply a 48T and a 36T with the kits and anyone who bought a kit prior can get free chainrings.

We encourage our customers to leave feedback by all means possible. Some folks from here have purchased a kit or two, so hope they chime in.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thank for replying pablo, hopefully someone that has the kit can also tell us about it., i appreciate you replying for all us electric bicycle fanatics :)

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Pablo,
Do you have any pcs with the kit mounted to a bike?
My next build is going to be a 1 or 2wk mid motor.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
See the pics on our site. My test bike is stripped down right now. Too darn busy, middle of tax season. Jim is doing another build, maybe have some new pictures soon, but we are also in the middle of a complete site re-do. Lots of new products and business is crazy right now. We are trying - like one arm wall paper hangers!

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Pablo,
Do you have any pcs with the kit mounted to a bike?
My next build is going to be a 1 or 2wk mid motor.
If you go to SBP site and click on the kit then click on Installation guide a pic will pop up.

Update on my progress. Ive been chatting with Pablo via message and as always he has been a lot of help. I want mine to be modified into a 3 piece chainwheel instead of one piece for mountain biking purposes and they are helping me make that happen.

Pablo, will this motor install on either side of the frame? (Behind the tube or in front of the tube)

Dan.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Anyone have a review on SBPs' Electric shift kit?
I am not in Reviewer mode but I have some first hand facts I can pass on.

First off I have been doing a lot of business with Paul and Jim of SBP for years and they are really great guys having fun with new MB's idea's like we are so I am biased.

When it comes to SBP electric kits here are the main factors:

1. The difference between the 36V kit and 48V kit is just the throttle.
The controller and motor are good from 24V to 48+V 1.7KW.

2. It's a box of good e-bike motor and drive parts with some mounting to fit most bikes bottom brackets, it's just that going electric is usually because gas just was not a viable option with your bike.

3. There are 3 things to consider to be sure you can go electric:

a. Pick a battery and voltage, this is the most expensive part and crucial as you need to see if it will fit on your bike.

b. Pick a bike/trike that has someplace you can mount the controller and electric motor into the e-Kit special shifting drive train as a non-shifting e-Bicycle is just silly with this system.

c. Figure out how you are going connect, conceal and protect the myriad of wiring that is e-Bikes.

More later with pics of sweet builds with the SBP e-Kit but it's Labor Day weekend and I choose to not labor anymore today ;-}