derringer cycles

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Re: Who is this guy trying to kid?

If your going to shell out the big bucks for a Derringer, you might as well spend the money for a quality helmet that is also a genuine piece of fine art.
We have just finished extensive feild studies and are now proud to announce
our newest product the "John Wesley Harding Helmet"
We are offering these to members of this forum first and at only $399.99.
You will want to be the first on your block to have one. So don't delay!
Remeber this is a piece of shi.. I mean art so it's value as a collectable goes
without saying.

LOL!!! love it rotfl

That is a pretty bike. All about the marketing. No need to build a better mouse trap. Market a mouse trap better.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx

LOL!!! love it rotfl

That is a pretty bike. All about the marketing. No need to build a better mouse trap. Market a mouse trap better.
True about the marketing. It's pure marketing. The bike looks nice, don't get me wrong. It's just stupid to shell out that kind of dough for that. You can get a good used motorcycle for less than that...and I would.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

It is kind of becoming a pet peeve, but has any one ever gotten 150 MPG with a chinagurl? I haven't looked around for a wile. At around 165 LBS and living in a fairly flat area, all mine have always gotten around 130 MPG. I'll go look for the thread asking the same question. Not a big deal but coupled with the 67 cc 80 thing.. Just an annoyance I guess. Leads me to consider the dealer.

I keep trying to not sound like a cranky old man here, but not getting to far, lol. Just wonder when I read the 150 MPG thing.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado

These are the boys that got on MTV that dating show where they rented two of them out and went for a ride.

Amazing how a bit of advertising pays off.

Man with that kind of money I would start off with a Worksman bike sell the wheels and grab some Wheelman wheels with drum up front and a drum wheel with freewheel from Staton and a Titan up top lets strip the whole bike to bare metal and make some fine welds to mold the carrier so it looks like a factory job then give it a powdercoat 800 dollar paint job even then if I take 2 and a half grand for all that work I would still be ahead.
Lets see high ball figures:
Worksman bike 400 dollars
Welds and other work 200 dollars
Wheelman wheels with motorcycle spokes,150 dollar staton freewheel axle and drum brakes 500 dollars
Titan kit 375
Miscellaneous tires and other do dads 100 bucks

$1,575.00

Now add 800 for powdercoat paint then you have $2,375.00

And if I keep the way strong wheels knock 500 off that figure.

Now THAT would be a bike.

Derringers are made to be shown and ridden for short distances.
Nothing more.

Last edited:

cycles

Feb 24, 2009
L.A.
look derringer's are the best. don't worry about the bike. what you need to know is if it works!!!! if that bike can take me 180 mpg and put 100,000 miles on it. what more can i ask

cycles

Feb 24, 2009
L.A.
.shft..rd..rd.look derringer's are the best. don't worry about the bike. what you need to know is if it works!!!! if that bike can take me 180 mpg and put 100,000 miles on it. what more can i ask

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Look, Derringer's bikes are no better than those built by most anyone here. Not as good as many. Marketing is the real advance...

...and congratulations on that.

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster, PA / Newark, DE
.shft..rd..rd.look derringer's are the best. don't worry about the bike. what you need to know is if it works!!!! if that bike can take me 180 mpg and put 100,000 miles on it. what more can i ask
I'd be surprised if someone would get 10,000 miles out of any china 2 stroke or 4 stroke (clone motor or gearbox alone) without a lot of repairs... let alone 100,000 But if you can get 10,000 miles than maybe derringer knows somethin we don't know (although i doubt it) ;)

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
look derringer's are the best. don't worry about the bike. what you need to know is if it works!!!! if that bike can take me 180 mpg and put 100,000 miles on it. what more can i ask
Are you 'world-renowned industrial designer' Adrian Van Anz?? WOW!!!
Did you really invent the motorized bicycle like your website says?? laff
You're gonna have to drop your prices buddy!!
dnutdnutdnut

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Cycles:

Welcome to the forum! As a newbie it is easily understood that you would think the Derringers are best. They are, really nice looking bikes. They have a high price tag...so the natural assumption would be that they are the best!

As you look through this forum, you'll find that it is really a good idea to concentrate on mechanical improvements. Derringer has overlooked the most basic of mechanical improvements.

From the pictures, it is obvious that the folks at Derringer mount the 2-cycle Chinese engine in the most basic way. They used the Rag joint sprocket mount, they drilled the forward tube and used the hardware that is supplied with the kit, they also used the kit supplied chain tensioner.

There is not even the slightest chance that this bike is operating at 180mpg, unless that test was done with the throttle just barely cracked open. At 10-15MPH, you may see 180mpg...boring.

There is also not even the slightest chance that they will last 100K miles.

I have had many of these engines apart, and the design does not even come close to a 100K mile life span.

Jim

smokey

May 16, 2008

its 2 different bikes one has a two stroke and one has a four stroke, definetly a scam

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
There is no scam- 2 models. The 4 stroker may get close to 180mpg, if you take it easy. Of course, the 2 stroke will not.

You can't really call it a scam when all the information is out there for anyone who looks for it. With that being the case, anyone who pays what Derringer charges has not been scammed. By comparison, however, the Ridley is an amazing bargain...with real live technical improvements.

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
Hey, Funny you guy's are talking about this right now, i went to the derringer store yesterday afternoon (i was working two blocks away and curiousity got me) i alway's thought before i would not make a special trip there but if i was nearby i'd check it out.

first , they start at $3500 and the guy acts like he designed the motor. as of right now there is a 3 to 4 month waiting list for them.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
As Hough pointed out...Derringer is not running a scam. The product is presented...the asking price is stated...the consumer is, and has always been, welcome to spend his/her money on anything they see that they feel represents a value to them.

Certainly we can wonder why, (with just a bit of research), anyone would pay such an inflated price for a motorbike that has zero technical improvements. It's simple: these folks aren't buying the bike, they are buying ownership into a trendy notion. "I have a Derringer" becomes a status symbol!

You've got to give it to the owner of Derringer for creating a marketing scenario that completely ignores the technical aspects of the product.

And as Hough pointed out...A fool and his money!!!

For $3,500.00 I could produce a really nice, vintage reproduction, bike with an all billet engine.

I guarantee you; Derringer would sell 10 to my 1.

Jim