My New Toy - 2001 Kawasaki KE 100B

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I rode a Kawasaki 100 in my younger days. It was dead reliable and fortunately, not fast enough to get me into trouble. I see your KE has a rotary valve intake, just like mine did.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Wheel,
What does that mean/ do?
(rotary valve intake)
I just got it yesterday...
This bike loooves to hum at high revs, and putters/ stutters at near idle.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Two stroke, piston port engines do not require an intake or exhaust valve. It is a simple design, but allows some of the burned fuel/air mixture to contaminate the fresh fuel/air mixture. Manufacturers found that two stroke engines experienced better fuel economy, reduced emissions and better lower end torque (the main reason) if they prevented the burned exhaust from mixing with the fresh fuel/air mixture. The rotary intake valve is a simply, crank driven "door" that helps to keep the burned gases from contaminating the new fuel/air mixture.
Most 2 stroke manufacturers use reed valves these days to accomplish the same thing. Kawasaki uses reed valves on their other 2 strokes, but has retained the rotary valve intake on the 100cc mill.
Maico used a rotary valve intake on their 125cc motocrosser for a few years as well.
I was going to simply give you a link to the article on wikipedia, but it was way above my head.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi Wheel,
Thanks for educating me. I never knew.
I'm gonna sip some coffee and read the manual, (to start) to learn more about the bike.
I think its really cool: you get to legally zip around town, speeds up to 60mph, im guessing a comfortable 45mph cruising speed on a local main secondary road... seats two (rear foot pegs) :)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
One of the fastest bikes for it's size I ever owned was a Can-Am with a rotary valve engine. It was a 175cc and I could hang with 250cc mx'ers! (In the 70's and early 80's anyway)
Everyone thought I swapped in a 250 motor!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I remember the CanAms being very fast, but i had forgotten that they offered a rotary valve.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Does it still have the dual range transmission? My KE100 had a lever down by the shifter you could move to select "power" or "speed" ranges. (Very little difference but it WAS cool)

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Does it still have the dual range transmission? My KE100 had a lever down by the shifter you could move to select "power" or "speed" ranges. (Very little difference but it WAS cool)
:)

Not that i'm aware of, but i'll double check!

I can save about $75.00 if I give up my Homemade Gas Moped Tag and use it on this...

thoughts anyone?

Thanks. :)