In depth review of "Flaming Horse" engine kit

GoldenMotor.com

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
http://www.enginesonlineshop.com/Flaming-Horse-Silver-80cc-Bicycle-Engine-Kit.html

Ok I thought id do a review post on a kit I bought recently (last thursday)

VENDOR:
Enginesonlineshop.com
This is the second motor kit I've bought from this vendor, both times have been an absolute pleasure, I got several confirmation emails and tracking numbers within a day. They ship for free and its fedex, so its fast. Kit matches exactly what the picture showed. No shenanigans.

ENGINE:
This is the best looking and highest quality engine I've seen so far. Looks great with no cheesy silver spray paint. No stuck bolts on the cases either! I pulled the head/jug with my typical pre-run checkup and found zero manufacturing errors. I stupidly forgot to take pictures, but it consisted of the standard low piston pin piston, which does slightly block the intake at TDC. The connecting rod was really nice, with bold and easy to read markings saying something like, "FS80" The real improvements I saw where in the castings however, the transfer ports were really clean and the intake / exhaust needed hardly any clean up. Moreover many of the surfaces of the cases / the matting surface of the cylinder head where MACHINED :O! They looked similar to a billet head but with tiny ridges. However the combustion chamber of the head was still rough aluminum. The head is the highest compression I've seen yet, and was perfectly flat on a piece of glass. It had pretty standard m8x1.0 head studs with slightly crappy (but tall for plenty of clearance) acorns. All replaced w/ high tensile. Upon inspection of the magneto I realized that it did not have a white wire, which I think is an improvement. The little bung that seals the wires sucked big time and keeps falling out. The cases were drilled for one of the screw variety of bung but china QC completely gazed over that one...Engine seals look good and it has sealed bearings by the sprocket. Also came with a uncommon clutch cable type which hits the carb with a MM intake.
I coud keep talking but ill save you and show you pics... (custom mount in pics was made by me not by china)

Here you can see one machines surface outside the bearing:

continued...

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
KIT HARDWARE:
Came with this kewl new style petcock and tank... much much nicer / bigger than the old one! Take a look...

A clutch puller which is nice to have because I keep stripping them.

A pretty nice pipe with the best looking welds Ive seen on a CG. Nice clean bead with little splatter. However I do prefer the look of the rounded bottom pipes more...

And oddly the thing that made me happiest was it came with a kinda nice fuel filter and my favorite semi-clear type of fuel line. (gets hard and unusable after a matter of days though)

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
no rust...

Overall a very good purchase would recommend... even though engines totally change between batches. Ordered thurs arrived mon

The bike its going on - just scored wheel set + brake calipers + rotors and some other bike stuff of craigslist for $50! There super strong wheels. Sorry for bad pics theres a lot of visual distraction the the background.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
no rust...

Overall a very good purchase would recommend... even though engines totally change between batches. Ordered thurs arrived mon

The bike its going on - just scored wheel set + brake calipers + rotors and some other bike stuff of craigslist for $50! There super strong wheels. Sorry for bad pics theres a lot of visual distraction the the background.

These are the kits I have gotten the last couple of orders. I posted something about it somewhere but noboy else had seen the difference. Good documentation and info here.
These are great little kits. I'm kinda bummed about the fuel line though, mine is starting to harden already. At least they include the good filter. The fuel caps in the two I bought have not needed to be drilled either which can totally stump first timers when they vacuum lock and the motor quits...

See guys?
I TOLD you the chinagirls were getting better...

Last edited:

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
I ordered one of these kits last winter when they were $139 with free shipping. I have to agree I was surprised with how well everything looked. I like the new fuel petcock...actually has a working reserve. Down is on and up is reserve. Shipping for me was fast too.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
See guys?
I TOLD you the chinagirls were getting better...
I think just maybe they (manufacturers) are realizing that people into these are realizing which kits are best and what vendor sells them.

Improve or die, their users are getting more wary and smarter about the engines they purchase.

Flying Horse engines for instance, people are demanding them now, it's probably the Japanese bearings.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
not sure about folks that claim:
5-6 HP (horse power)
2-3 hours to install and do some adjustments

bill2781

May 24, 2013
okmulgee OKlahoma
no rust...

did yours come with instructions and the only thing I see diferent with yours and mine which is mine has the slant head i got mine a few weeks ago . i have to agree thou it looks like a realy good kit . ohh mine also came with the white wire but all in all a good looking kit

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Just ordered my second kit from them,no problems with the first one so far. they look like the kits we used to get 7 or 8 years ago. better bearings and seals,less molding slag, ect.
fatdaddy.