model airplane engine?

GoldenMotor.com

10cc

May 21, 2010
Seattle
Hi..Newbie from Seattle. I like long walks on the beach and maybe motor bicycling.

I DO NOT want a big HEAVY 49-66-80cc engine, NOR super heavy batteries.

I would like to use a model airplane engine and use it for hills and industrial areas, etc..

I would like my bike to be as light as possible.

Can this work, is there a thread. What else do I need besides properly mounting the r/c engine with sprocket and chain. Do I need a clutch, a trannie- or could I just slip the chain on and off the sprocket? I just want some very simple- I turn it on and ride!

Thank you sirs!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That will be too small, even with the additional power a glow engine will make over a gas engine. 23cc is still very small.

Do you like them yet? ;) Welcome to the forum.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. What you need depends on how far you plan to ride, among other things. Commutes of 5 miles one way can be done with SLA batteries. Longer commutes require better, more expensive batteries (like LiFePo4 or metal hydride). You can store the electric bike safely inside the store or office.
I used to commute 50 miles round trip to work when I lived in the Phoenix area (with a 48cc China girl). The cost for an electric bike that can make a 50 mile round trip would have been far too steep for me.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
To get an RC engine that has enough power to pull you and a bike along you're going to have to spend quite a bit and get something meant for 1/4 to giant scale. which means you might as well go with a friction drive kit or make one out of a weed eater.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
If you don't want a broken heart, and just want to ride the sucker, get a Bikemotorparts.com roller drive kit, and a 52cc weeder engine from the sights they list for about $120 (motor).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7vaqTeP6X4

The model airplane idea is fascinating, but the only one I've seen work so far used a propeller and didn't have a lot of power to move the rider. It was loud and expensive and burned a lot of fuel.

Hi..Newbie from Seattle. I like long walks on the beach and maybe motor bicycling.

I would like to use a model airplane engine and use it for hills and industrial areas, etc..

Can this work, is there a thread. What else do I need besides properly mounting the r/c engine with sprocket and chain. Do I need a clutch, a trannie- or could I just slip the chain on and off the sprocket? I just want some very simple- I turn it on and ride!

Thank you sirs!

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Yep, that would do it. People are putting those on the Bike Motor Parts kit. I think there is also some other kit you could get to use a chain drive, but I bet its high$

The guy in #1 said he didn't want a "big heavy" engine, so he probably doesn't need 4 hp and all the noise either.

Lets just try to get him on a MB at all first.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
YouTube - Radius "Ultralight" Motorbike

Airplane engine on bicycle.

Thank you sirs!

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Its possible but due to the expense of the fuel involved it doesn't seem as feasable as a modified weedeater type motor. I don't like the whole pull start cover look they have, but stripped down they can look rather neat as a friction drive system. I wish I had pics of an old build of mine to show you pics but that was before I had the interwebs...lolz

Last edited:

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
What type of bike are you interested in installing it on? I might be able to mock up an example, and take some pics if your interested.

AZMotorbiker

May 20, 2010
Chandler, Arizona
I'm just a noob myself, but this sounds like a bad idea to me. What a MB needs is not high RPM like an aircraft motor, but torque, and plenty of it. My little Grubee 66cc goes nice and quick on level ground AND up steep hills. I go up a real gutbuster on my way to work - even my 48V Aowa e-bike struggles up it, but today the little Grubee took it no problem at 20MPH, and I was only at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. I was amazed at how much power that little motor packs. I barely have to give it any gas at all to go the legal limit for MB's here which is 20.

Shh... I had it up to 33 or so yesterday afternoon on a canal path before I got nervous and backed off - it still wanted to go faster. Wheeeee! :D

Also, none of these gas bikes are just "get on and ride". There's all sorts of fiddling and adjusting with these as they break in, and you have to keep them maintained well too - check your chain, spokes, etc before each ride. Once a week, you have to check your brake pads, they wear out quick, check your tire pressure, check the spark plug, all that. If "get on and ride" is what you're after, the Aowa e-bike I have is good for that. Just charge it up and go. They make a 36V model that's around $300-400 or so, the 48V one I've got (I know I said 36V in an earlier post but I've since looked at it again. It's the 48) is $500 or so. Just charge it and go (but don't get a flat - it uses 22" tubes which are a PITA to find).

Good luck, and welcome!

-AZ

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
The model aircraft motors I work on once in a while are from 15cc up to our biggest 111cc. The have the HP and have much better carbs. You would need a way of starting it. I don't know if a centrifical clutch would allow starting.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Even if you can find a R/c motor that has the guts to haul a bike, how will you gear it down and run a chain off of it? How much will it cost to fuel it? (Don't they run on ethanol and specialty oil?)

AZMotorbiker

May 20, 2010
Chandler, Arizona
OH WOW THANKS!!! These are such a pain in the butt to find here in Phoenix! Only one place I know of that sells them, and it's the same chinese produce market that sells the bike. the problem is it's located way downtown, and even with my gas bike up and running it's a hassle of a trip to go there. Thanks to you, now I can just order what I need online! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I probably could have found them online via google a long time ago. Duh... ;)

How weird, 22" wheels. Why?
I dunno, but it sure sucks. I wish they were 20 or 24, then I could just buy the foam tubes at walmart and be done with it. Here in AZ with all the thorny plants we have, fixing a flat can be a weekly or even daily ritual. I'm glad my gas bike has the foam tubes. No flat tires on THAT bike! (^)

-AZ

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You want an RC model aircraft engine that'll power your ride? I got yer engine right here: it's a JetCat P-60. Stick a pair of 'em on your chainstays, fill yer tank with aircraft fuel, and GO baby, GO!laff

Attachments

AZMotorbiker

May 20, 2010
Chandler, Arizona
You want an RC model aircraft engine that'll power your ride? I got yer engine right here: it's a JetCat P-60. Stick a pair of 'em on your chainstays, fill yer tank with aircraft fuel, and GO baby, GO!laff
LOL, nice. Those RC turbines can haul ass and they even sound like a real jet too. Can you imagine the look on a cop's face when you ride by sporting jet engines on your bike? OMG! laff

Here's an F16 with one of these engines and an afterburner too! Sick...

YouTube - F-16 model with afterburner!

-AZ