El Cheapo exhaust mod...

GoldenMotor.com

ACIDBURN

Feb 16, 2009
Brisbane Australia
Hi Guys

I took the bikes out today and my old 50cc ht exhasut gasket failed. Only half the gasket blew out right at the very bottom of the exhaust manifold.

It was a little noisier but a whole lot more powerful. Im going to replace the gasket tomorrow but it got me thinking , If i drilled a small hole in the exhaust manifold and cut a thread in it. I could stick a bolt in the hole when i want it quiet and unscrew it when im in the bush and get a big performance gain.

Is it that easy or am i forgeting something?

.wee.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
you shouldnt run a two stroke without proper exhaust.

as far as the gaskets blowing out, it happens to alot of folks. you can use andything you see fit as a replacment.

go to the local autoparts store and buy a swuare foot of the thickest gasket paper you can get and you can then cut one out.

the easiest way to cut it out is to make a small square approx. the size of the area to be gasketed and lightly tap a ball peen hammer around the edges. it should cut you out a nice replacment. soak the new gasket in oil before installation so it will seal right and compress!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Many of the exhaust pipe flanges are not flat. They do not lay flush against the cylinder and that is the cause of premature gasket failures. Use a file or course sandcloth on a wood block to 'dress' the exhaust pipe flange and get a flat, true surface. If you make your own gasket look for gasket material made for exhaust manifolds, headers, etc. It will usually be about 1/8" thick. Permatex makes a high temp sealant that will help the gasket live longer. Another thing I've found is the weld bead on the flange is often too wide and will not allow the nut or bolt head to lay flush causing an uneven surface that can bend or even break a stud or bolt if tightened too much. I grind away the bead to assure the bolt head or nut and washer will lay flat against the flange.
Tom