New to the board, new motorized bicycle owner, modifications

GoldenMotor.com

ratty

Apr 17, 2009
Nashville ,TN
Hey everybody.

I'm a new motorized bicycle owner, got it last Saturday. It is an old ratty 12 speed bike with the 80/66cc HT engine kit. I bought it with the kit freshly installed and didn't get much with it. It has a 44t rear sprocket. I weigh +/- @240 lbs . Now....here is what I have experienced so far. I need the bike to go uphill halfway decent because I will be using it for a short commute to work. In stock form, it would barely make it up hills. Not good, some of my commute is uphill about a couple hundred meters or so. I decided to do a rear sprocket swap to a 60t that I found locally at Northern tool. After I bought the sprocket, I decided to do some exhaust and intake mods to increase my performance before swapping the sprocket. Today, I took the muffler apart, it is a black one. It was welded together. After grinding off the welds, I noticed what looks like an extremely crude catalytic converter insert at the end of the pipe. It was all held in, converter, baffle, and all by some spot welds inside the pipe. I removed everything (please no environmental speak about the converter removal. It really is a sorry excuse for one anyway) Then I opened up the exhaust and intake gaskets and did some contour work on the intake and exhaust pipe with a die grinder with a cone shaped carbide tip. Now, I can climb the same hills no problem at a decent speed and actually gain speed going up hills, although vveeerrryyy gradually; top speed is about 20 without really spinning up the motor. The power increase is VERY noticeable, but now its kind of loud for my taste; I will address that issue shortly with some kind of home made silencer added to the muffler somewhere. I feel like I need a little more grunt up those hills. How much difference would a 54t rear sprocket be? I think the 60t is overkill, and its going back tomorrow, but they stock a 54t one too. Will it give me a noticeable amount of torque? Top speed does not concern me, I will be driving it downtown.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Re: New to the board, new mb owner, modifications

Sounds like you know what you're doing so far. The 54 tooth sprocket should do just fine for what you need it to do.

Nashville hills shouldn't give it any problems at all.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Ratty,
Welcome to the forum. I think you'll be very pleased with the 54T and it should carry you up those hills with no problem. My first bike was set up with a 44T and here in hilly Colorado it pulled my skinny butt up every hill I encountered. You're like me being unconcerned with top end speed but you might also consider a 48T. It could be a good compromise between that hill busting 54 and your current 44.
As for the muffler, some guys have had good luck using course steel wool or fiberglass as a sound deadner. Goes without saying that you'll need to fabricate some kind of cannister, maybe your old cat will work, using a thru pipe, drilled then wrapped with the material and a tail pipe of sorts. Good luck.
Tom

ratty

Apr 17, 2009
Nashville ,TN

Thanks for all the input so far. I have a lot of 'hobbies', but this motorized bike thing is extraordinarily cool. Just getting back on a bike reminds me of the younger days!

dance1

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Thanks for all the input so far. I have a lot of 'hobbies', but this motorized bike thing is extraordinarily cool. Just getting back on a bike reminds me of the younger days!

dance1
Know what ya mean. Funny eh?

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA

With the 54 tooth sprocket your top end would probably be about 20 mph wide open on flat ground. If you are happy with putting along at 14-15 mph then it is a good choice since it will definitely torque you up those hills. If you want to go faster you might wear the engine out quicker by winding it out too much.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.

First: welcome to the forum

Second: I live in SC. and I have the 54t sprocket installed on a 24" mountain bike along with the 80cc. and I haven't done the intake or the exhaust mods yet but I can say the 54t gives a nice balance for both torque and speed for the bigger guys I weigh around 300 and I do 40mph. on the flatland. Another thing you might also want to check into a boost bottle it might just give you that little extra your looking for.

Hope it helps.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Dag, on an "80cc" 2 stroke with a 54T rear sprocket, your getting 40 MPH? I have to ask, you are saying this is due to a boost bottle? I have never tried one as they were widely thought to be no good. Just asking here.

Last edited:

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.

Sorry I confused you No I don't have a boost bottle on my bike but from what I've seen they appear to have an effect I could be wrong. My bike is a 24" Huffy mountain bike I had for years. I have had my motor mounted for about 2 months now and I love this thing I am looking for "Hop ups" or Mods to improve the performance. I have nowhere near the amount knowledge of these motobikes many others have here but with the gear being my first I just thought I could shed some light. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.dance1usflg

Attachments

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az

if you are looking for a silencer sick bike parts sells one also welcome to the forum will love tosee pics if you can

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

First: welcome to the forum

Second: I live in SC. and I have the 54t sprocket installed on a 24" mountain bike along with the 80cc. and I haven't done the intake or the exhaust mods yet but I can say the 54t gives a nice balance for both torque and speed for the bigger guys I weigh around 300 and I do 40mph. on the flatland. Another thing you might also want to check into a boost bottle it might just give you that little extra your looking for.

Hope it helps.
40MPH, 54t Sprocket...I'd like to know how you're measuring your speed.
Tom

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.

I ride my wife follows in the car. I'm not using the 54t anymore though I switched to the original and used the 54t on a go cart ;) but I'm still getting same speed and little less on hills but still runs like wildfire on flatland no noticeable difference really.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY

300lbs on a 24" mountainbike with a 54t or 44t sprocket and hes lucky to hit 15-20mph.
but who knows,maybe hes being towed by a car at 40mph.