road bicycle with motor, anyone know about it?

GoldenMotor.com

mikeman412

May 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hi, Im a newbie here and I have some ideas about attaching a motor onto a road bike (you know, the ones with the real thin tires). I am thinking that the smoother, thinner tires will work better at fast speeds rather than a mountain bike. However, it lacks the suspension of a mountain bike. What do you guys think is better, the handling or the suspension? Also, I am not exactly informed on the pros and cons of friction drive vs. chain drive. Any help or words of advice AT ALL are VERY MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
There will be no problem fitting an engine into a road bike. Just remember that at speed you will feel every bump with those small hard tires. You will also have to consider how much grip they have when taking corners. More rubber on the road = more traction.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i dont like roadbikes or tenspeeds with thin tires,i road a tenspeed and ran over a small pebble and got a flat tire,what you think will happen with a motor on it and run over a pot hole?.you dont have to have a mountain bike,cruiser bikes have nice smooth tires and can take a bump here and there. with the friction drive you dont have to mess with chains,but no peddal start and you have to lift a bracket when stopped plus ive heard you have to replace tires more and i dont like that,maybe someone should make easy to install and under $200 friction kits with centrifugal clutches,but then sometimes the pull start might break. now with the chain drives you have to deal with a chain,some chain adjusting but once youve got it right its good for a while and has great power with no slipping.plus they have kits available and cheap. i'd go with chain or belt drive.
The bike to build with would be a large 26" steel bike with large 26" cruiser smooth tires ,springy seat, shocks front and back with rear swing arm,and rubber-steel engine mounts like a motorcycle. when was the last time youve seen a motorcycle with thin tires?

mikeman412

May 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
thanks everyone, im going to go with a dual suspension mountain bike. but is all of that suspension going to make the chain easier to fall off?

Clotho

May 25, 2008
On a dual suspension bike you will be using a rack mount kit and I hear they work pretty good with that configuration. I haven't heard of any chain problems.

If you happen to have one of the rare rear suspension bikes that have room for a frame mount kit then you will have problems with keeping the chain tight enough.