Rotary engine on a mountain bike? possible or no?

GoldenMotor.com

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
i saw a few videos about how rotary engines worked, their advantages and disadvantages, and i liked their compact size, and it got me thinking. if i reduced the cc's, and had a dedicated oil sump, could i fit a rotary engine on a soft tail mtb for hauling heavy cargo?
.cs.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Dude what? Are you a machinist?

Look at the Hercules W2000 and the Suzuki RE5. That's about the only way you could make one fit, and even then it would still be huge, suck gas, and have no torque. Rotary engines have their advantages, but hauling heavy loads is not one.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I know someone who made one, the tolerances have to be even closer than normal engines. The lack of vibration would be kinder on a frame if you can make one though.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
i saw a few videos about how rotary engines worked, their advantages and disadvantages, and i liked their compact size, and it got me thinking. if i reduced the cc's, and had a dedicated oil sump, could i fit a rotary engine on a soft tail mtb for hauling heavy cargo?
Here is a rotary engined bike at Socal Motor Bicycle Racing's Willow Springs
Kart track race in May 2016.

You never know what is going to show up at our races.
Socal Motor Bicycle Racers like to Wankel at the track!

Last edited:

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
ok, so evidently it isn't very possible without fabricating a frame for it. i've seen some cool things though, so maybe one day...