Confused about Break-in

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
This information in counterintuitive to what I was taught in the 90's about breaking in 2 stroke dirtbike engines, I used to do a little racing when 2 strokes still ruled. Every race team utilized the Hard break in, warm it up and run it hard.

But in fairness these were much more refined engines with tighter tolerances.
40:1 from day one
Same principals apply to a chinadoll: Lots of cylinder pressure to promote ring seating and proper seal. Simply reduce overall revs/vs/time to compensate for poor china quality. After third tank, ride it like you please.
Low speed, full throttle bursts, with NO FULL RPM BLASTS until third tank.

0megaMan

Aug 9, 2016
Escalon, Ca
40:1 from day one
Same principals apply to a chinadoll: Lots of cylinder pressure to promote ring seating and proper seal. Simply reduce overall revs/vs/time to compensate for poor china quality. After third tank, ride it like you please.
Low speed, full throttle bursts, with NO FULL RPM BLASTS until third tank.
So you never ran the 16:1 ratio? That seems a bit thick even for break in. I'm more accustomed to a 32:1 break in and 45:1 afterwards.

16 and 24:1 would lead me to believe massive amounts of oil coming out of the exhaust.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Lucas Semi synthetic is my brand of choice now at 32-1 for break in, pretty amazing for break in or regular use. Really smoke free and doesn't smell at all. Want to try opti oil later. Everybody's advice were really saying the same thing and will prevent the high heat. All the advice above will prevent the engine for getting too hot during break-in the most important thing. It will certainly get hotter faster for the first 300 miles. Running full synth can slow down the break in process. Certainly your not doing the engine any favors by bogging it as slow rpms. Your engine will run smoother and start easier the more miles you pile on. The nice thing is entire engines are cheap as are the replacement parts and all can be fixed without a repairman. Perfect! No real worries needed.

LBC

Aug 8, 2016
Virginia
hey guys quick question, if i put a 27.5 inch wheel on the back of my 29 inch bike and keep the 29 inch wheel on the front will that be harmful or will i get better pulling uphill power/torque? sort of confused here right now because i want to ride today but i am waiting on the hub adapter bushings since i measured wrong :'(
so will it hurt to put that 27.5" wheel on the back of my bike for a couple days?
LBC

0megaMan

Aug 9, 2016
Escalon, Ca
If the sprocket is the same size and the diameter of the wheel is smaller you'll have a reduction in top speed and a little more low end. That's just simple math.

Not quite sure what you mean by hurt?

LBC

Aug 8, 2016
Virginia
If the sprocket is the same size and the diameter of the wheel is smaller you'll have a reduction in top speed and a little more low end. That's just simple math.

Not quite sure what you mean by hurt?
by "hurt" i meant would it be bad for the engine to do so. will it hurt the engine, effect it in a bad way, i'm not sure how else to say it :p
i went ahead and gave it a shot and the only difference that i seen and felt was top end speed was reduced by almost 10mph yet it took off without peddling and maintained a constand speed without sounding like she was being beaten to death lol
thank you for your input!
LBC

LBC

Aug 8, 2016
Virginia
Yep, you just changed final drive ration with the rim/tire instead of gears.
ok and thanks 0megaMan :)
it all seemed ok when i locked her down and took her for a ride today, like i said previously, the top end dropped but the bottom end is better than what it was, and i thought it was pretty good before lol
i'm good with low speeds though because i like to smile and wave at all the looky lous :D
ride safe and thanks 0megaMan!
LBC

LBC

Aug 8, 2016
Virginia
i sort of liike the way it looks though, i may get a sprocket with 50 teeth? and see how that goes on this 27 inch wheel, if all goes worse i'll always have it for the 29" wheel once i get them back into running shape.
man i have been burning through V lever brake pads like there is no tomorrow, can't wait to get the disc brakes installed soon, hopefully by this weekend so i can take here for a 20 mile ride ;)
Thanks again 0megaMan!
LBC

0megaMan

Aug 9, 2016
Escalon, Ca
Your welcome.

When I was a kid I would make choppers out of bikes, I would take a 20" fork and wheel and stick it on a 16", take the 16" and put it on a 12" so on and so on. I always liked the way those looked.