Unfinished build in the garage...to be finished soon!

GoldenMotor.com

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on the forum. Last summer, I had started a 2-stroke project. It was running for about 1 or 2 weeks until it broke down. After some complications one of the rear studs broke off and in an attempt to fix it I made the problem worse. Skipping the details, as Fall came around I didn't have time to work on it.

Now that winter is here, I'm going to be having lots of time to rebuild my bike. :)
Basically what I need to do at the moment is get a new engine. Since these kits are so cheap I mind as well buy an entire kit (could use a new muffler anyhow).

My goal here is to get the bike running at a semi-reliable condition. So that every once in a while I can take it for a spin (not for constant transportation). I also don't want to spend too much money. I know I *should* replace all the studs and what not. Don't want to go to SBP and spend the money for a new set, just going to salvage all that from my old engine (except the pair that had broken). Also since I have the sandpaper from last time, going to sand the exhaust/intake flanges.

I'm not sure why I decided to start this thread, I usually only post when I have a question. This time I just felt like letting the world (err this forum) what I'm up to. Any bits of advice or words of wisdom is appreciated.

Happy riding! brnot

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome back, Joe.
Advice? First thing that comes to mind is buy or borrow a torque wrench. Fastener failure, broken studs, stripped threads, etc. can usually be traced to overtightening.

Another cause of engine mount fastener failure is an engine that isn't mounted solidly to the frame but is allowed to shake and move around. Don't use rubber in your mounts and mount the engine securely to the frame.

Lots of other good advice will probably be coming your way so stay tuned.

Good luck and have fun.

Tom,