First 1000!!

GoldenMotor.com

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I know this is no big deal but I have just passed 1000 miles on my Dax F-80 china girl. I passed 1000 miles today on my ride to the beach and back home. It ran good and strong, good RPMs and purring like a kitten at low idle. I reset my odometer when I replaced the first motor and put the Dax on. I've run it with Opti-2 since I got it at 70x1 for break in and 100x1 after. I grease it after every 100 miles or so. I'm running a sick bike parts expansion pipe and a RT carb (Dellorto clone) with a stock slant head. I've had all of these parts on it for the life of the engine. I can't wait to run it another thousand!
brnot

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Congratulations, Tyler.
That's something you'll remember for a long time. Thanks for sharing it with us and keep racking up those miles. Good man :)

Tom

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Thanks you guys!! I couldn't have made it to 1000 without this forum and all of you who have either answered my questions directly or answered another member's question which I later read, sometimes I just read old threads on here all night. I still feel like a rookie sometimes, but you all have educated me quite a bit since I first got my kit and put my carb on upside down, haha (yeah, I was that dumb). Anyhow, keep up the good work! I try to share what you all have taught me with other newbies, but you all should know that I do, in fact, appreciate it!

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes! I read a lot of threads simply in order to learn what I might, too. Not necessarily looking for anything in particular.

And it's helped. I've made some mistakes. But this forum has saved me from making plenty of other mistakes.

Anyway....good job on that first thousand miles. You've got a pretty capable looking bike there.

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
I know this is no big deal but I have just passed 1000 miles on my Dax F-80 china girl. I passed 1000 miles today on my ride to the beach and back home. It ran good and strong, good RPMs and purring like a kitten at low idle. I reset my odometer when I replaced the first motor and put the Dax on. I've run it with Opti-2 since I got it at 70x1 for break in and 100x1 after. I grease it after every 100 miles or so. I'm running a sick bike parts expansion pipe and a RT carb (Dellorto clone) with a stock slant head. I've had all of these parts on it for the life of the engine. I can't wait to run it another thousand!
brnot
Stock head with acorn nuts!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Sweet.
A motorized bike should at least last through two compete tire changes from wear.
Did your original tires make 1K?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That head with acorn nuts has over 1000 miles on it?

WOW!
They appear to be the extended acorn nuts that some engine suppliers are now using in place of the old notorious chrome ones that caused so much trouble. They're deeper so they don't bottom out on the studs. Properly torqued they work well.

Tom

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I fully expected to replace the acorn nuts but Tom is right, they were not the same as the cheap ones I have seen. I don't think they were even made in China. Anyhow, after inspecting them I decided that there was nothing wrong with them. They did not bottom out on the studs.

As for the tires, no, I replaced them and the rear one actually needs to be replaced again right now. This was not my first motor on this bicycle. The first one that came with my kit seized up after only about 500 miles but I never replaced the tires until months later after I had already put the Dax engine on it.

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Yeah the 1k. 1k is pretty much the number when you've worked out all the problems. I remember in the first 250mi with my custom build it was just failure after failure. I started really enjoying the ride after the last failure at around 500mi. After that every failure was simply running out of gas.

Haha after 1k I decided to make some mods myself! Bought a new bicycle computer with an auto/permanent backlight, a 12v tach and 12v temp gauge both backlit for night riding! Finishing a new transmission and put a new rear tire. My first pair of kenda kwests lasted 1k except for one major failure that tore up the rear. The front is still there!

Congrats on your 1k!! You are definitely doing it right.