Best to make a head gasket

GoldenMotor.com

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
I'm going to try and get my Stinger to run since failing miserably last year trying to start it. I got so mad that I stuck it in the corner and forgot about it....Went and got my motorcycle license and a Yamaha V-Star 1,100. Still though....I would like to get that thing running....it's been itching at me.

I currently have the head off the engine, making sure the head and jug are straight....I have made new head studs and got rid of the acorn nuts, now just wondering what would be best for the head gasket....It has a metal one now that makes me wonder about the sealing qualities.

Thanks, gentlemen.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The metal, aluminnum gasket is your best option. The important thing is if the head and cylinder gasket surfaces are flush and flat. We suggest lapping the head against a known flat surface, glass, granite, metal, anything that is flat and smooth.
Start with cleaning the gasket surface then painting it with a magic marker or machinist dye. Run the head over sandpaper, start with 220 grit, laid on the glass using a circular motion. You'll quickly see if the gasket sealing surface is flat. Keep working until it is. Decrease the paper grit as you work down to 380 to 400.

The same procedure can be used for the mating surface on the cylinder but it requires removing the cylinder from the engine case. Make sure you know how to re-install it by compresing the piston rings properly.

Get rid of the chrome acorn nuts and replace with shouldered hex nuts then torque them to 120 to 140 inch pounds and check the torque after the engine has reached operating temperature a couple of times.

If the engine won't start that's a whole other issue. Why did you remove the cylinder head in the first place?

Tom

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
I took the head off to see if it was straight. I put it on a glass surface, but it didn't seem to move looking like it is straight as of now.

It's my last attempt....I put on two different carbs, two sets of magnets, CDI and sealed all the intake and car joints...still no start just a small, muffled blab,not enough to even move the bike. I used the correct oil mix too... So my conclusion is I have a vaccum leak in the head, jug mating surfaces.

I have hex nuts ready to go as well as some homemade studs I made from old grade 8 bolts.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You can make a good head gasket for cheap with a thick aluminum turkey roaster pan from the dollar store. Trace it and cut it out. Don't worry about raised designs because it will flatten out as you tighten the bolts. Try to find a nice thick one for best results.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
In a jam, I used a flattened soda can on a Vespa once. Until the right one arrived from the store. I put the correct gasket on, and since it was slightly larger, it made my compression slightly less, and had slightly less performance.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I too have used the soda can trick. If you cut out a square of the metal, you can iron it flat with a clothes iron and then trace & cut. Not really recommended, but it does work. I've also heard of people using the metal from disposable aluminum pans.

As long as the surfaces of the head and jug meet properly(are completely flat), I wouldn't worry about buying a new gasket unless you wrecked the one you already have. I took off the head many times on my last motor and used the same gasket without any related issues.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
would .016 or .020 Alum work well for head gaskets? i have access to that material at work.
i also have access to .010 & .016 stainless steel. is that any good for head gaskets?

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
It has to be soft aluminum, the alloy sheet aluminum wont work too well unless its perfectly flat as well as the mating surfaces of the head and jug... the factory gaskets are dead soft aluminum and most aluminum sheet is an alloy of some type to make it harder or more corrosion resistant.
dead soft aluminum sheet is kinda hard to find but the aluminum used for disposable cooking ware like turkey tins or pie tins is also pure or very close to pure aluminum and soft enough to make a good seal.

Copper also works great since its also very soft but it usually needs to be annealed before using as a gasket by heating up to cherry red then dropping into cool water, this will make the copper dead soft, because the copper can be annealed it can be reused several times. Copper does work harden so it will harden up some as it smashes to seal but it still seals very well, its the vibration its subjected to from the engine that'll harden it up enough to need to be annealed any time its removed and put back into service. Copper sheet can be bought at hobby stores and it cuts easily, this is also agood choice for raising compression since its available as thin as. 002" up to .040" and thicker, but this is the size range most commonly used to raise compression, lower compression, or raise or lower the cylinder to set port hight or timing.

Aluminum pie tins are the most common for cutting head gaskets out of since its thin and it works really well, not to mention its cheap and easy to obtain.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Can the same aluminum tins be used to make exhaust and intake gaskets? I'm assuming so since you can use it on the head but just thought I'd ask

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Can the same aluminum tins be used to make exhaust and intake gaskets? I'm assuming so since you can use it on the head but just thought I'd ask
Only if the mating surfaces are flat and fit flush against each other. Unfortunately all of the steel exhaust manifold flanges and the steel intakes are usually warped from the welding process and a thin metal gasket will not give you a good seal.
Thicker fiber gaskets will help but sanding/grinding the flanges flat is the preferred method.

Tom

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The aluminum would work for intake or exhaust gaskets but only if the flanges are perfectly flat and true, I'm using a 1/8" thick copper exhaust gasket and it sealed but I had to true the flange on the pipe by sanding it with a tabletop belt sander. On the intake side the flange would also need to be perfectly flat and true before a metal gasket would seal and would most likely need the assistance of gasket shellac or copper gasket spray on both sides of the gasket. Ive also got a leak free intake seal by using anaerobic sealant which also works really well but its expensive... the typical paper fiber gaskets tend to work best on the intake side and can easily be cut out if you buy a sheet of gasket material from the local auto parts store.