Clutch issues

GoldenMotor.com
Jun 2, 2015
Marlton, New Jersey
I am working on my first build (66cc 2 stroke). I seem to have a problem with the clutch. The bike will not move at all even when the lever is engaged. I can move the clutch arm very easily with just my hand so something must be wrong but I don't know what to do next. Any help is much appreciated.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome George. We're glad you've joined us and I hope we can help.

This is a very common problem with a new builder. Most folks underestimate the amount of force needed to disengage the clutch. The internal spring is a lot stronger than people think. My guess is that your clutch cable is not tight enough. The clutch actuator arm will move freely if pressed inward toward the engine, until, it encounters the spring resistance. From there you'll have to apply a lot of pressure to move the arm inward enough to disengage the clutch.

I'm posting a link to a good tutorial on 2 stroke clutch adjustment. Follow the steps and I think you'll solve your problem. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22726

Good luck.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
also, the pads sometimes stick during shipping waits - a bit of a tap with a hammer on the plate will usually free it

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I have not seen Mudhead since the pep rally. I heard he was living in Frogtown with Louise Wong.

Sorry I can't help with your clutch problem but there are a lot of guys here giving generously of their time and knowledge.

bombs away Fred,

- Chaz

Jun 2, 2015
Marlton, New Jersey
OK thanks for the info. I got the rear wheel to free up after tightening the cable.Now the bike moves with some resistance but my question is this: the drive chain and gears move when the clutch lever is open or closed. Is this normal?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yes it is normal. The chain will always move with the rear wheel as well as the drive sprocket. The disengagement happens internally between the sprocket and the big gear on the right side.

You will always have some parasitic drag from the chain/sprockets and the cross shaft inside the engine, even with the clutch fully disengaged. Unless the chain is removed the bike will pedal harder than it did before. A chain that is too tight will add to that resistance. You'll want 1/2" to 3/4" of slack in the engine drive chain. Chain and sprocket alignment is also important.

Tom