Clutch cable spring

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
I just read a post on FB about a fella adjusting his clutch and two members said first get rid of the return spring. This true? I never thought much of it and installed as per instructions. Was wondering. . . gphil

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
George, if you're referring to the small spring that the kit provides that goes on the cable between the guide and the clutch actuator arm, yes, get rid of it.
It serves no useful purpose except to make your clutch harder to pull. The internal clutch spring is sufficient to engage the clutch and as long as you keep the bucking bar and ball bearing well lubricated, as it should be, there should be no worry about the clutch parts 'dragging'.

We always suggest to not install the small spring. Of course you know the larger one is in fact a heat shield to protect the cable housing from engine heat. Use it.
Hope this answers your question.

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Yep.
That spring along with the 'drill the frame' single bolt front mount should NOT come in any of these kits is my opinion, though I do find lots of other uses for those parts ;-}

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The little spring that goes over the clutch cable was to keep the clutch arm from rattling. I agree discard it. An Oring of the proper size placed between the clutch cam shaft and the engine case does a better job with no resistance/interference.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Actually the big spring serves little purpose as they claim its to protect the clutch cable from engine heat, if you need to protect the cable from engine heat the spring does prevent direct contact with the fins but the heat can still transfer from the fins to the spring and ultimately to the cable. Pretty much unless your riding really slow like barely moving slow or sitting at idle for long periods of time. But if there is a problem with too much heat that can harm the clutch cable a short length of silicone hose can be slid over the cable to replace the spring. This will protect it from heat as well as chafing, and it'll look better. It comes in every color imaginable too so it could also be used to match the bikes color or to match the color of the cable if new cables are used for better appearance etc. But it'll protect the cable from direct contact heat and from chafing thru the cable's outer plastic sheath from direct contact from the fins and vibration etc..