chain/leak please help!!

GoldenMotor.com

brandonkreisler

Jul 6, 2013
California
Hello all...well I bought my 66cc motor kit from a local provider here in LA and mounted it to my Giant mountain bike. It is a really simple kit, except NOTHING fit correctly. I had to customize everything to get it to fit...built new mounts, filed down posts, put the torch to the exhaust, etc. That motor kit fought against me every step of the way. After three days of tinkering around with it and wishing my tools weren't 2000 miles away, I finally finished it.

It wouldn't work yet, though. I tightened up the clutch assembly as hard as I could in order to try again. I pedaled, let the clutch out, and sure enough it started up (however briefly...). It will start, but unfortunately it will not run. There seems to be half a link too much slack on the chain. When the flywheel (whatever you call the sprocket connected to the driveshaft) turns it causes the chain to kink up in the motor and I have to remove the cover and fix the chain. It will then start for about three seconds and I have to repeat that process.

I'm not sure what exactly to do about this. Moving the motor is absolutely the last step I would want to try to do. It fits so snugly where it is right now, for the time being I'm just going to assume that it can't be moved. I'm pretty sure I can't take half a link out of the chain, but if I can then please let me know. That leaves the chain roller provided in the kit. It doesn't seem to be long enough to take out enough slack....I don't know what to do....weld and lengthen the chain roller??? If it were a little longer, i could slide the roller up some more, adding the needed tension to the chain. Please tell me someone has ideas that don't involve moving the motor.

Finally, there is a leak somewhere in the fuel apparatus....is there anything I should know? I'm not sure exactly where the leak is, I was frustrated at that point and just decided to drain the fuel. Are there any common points where leaks occur or...? Cheap tubing maybe (replacement tubing???)? Any suggestions of where to look first after I add fuel again? Also, my kit didn't come with anything to tighten the carb clamp with. Isn't there supposed to be a brass screw and/or nut there? I lost the nut/cap that screws on top of the clutch lever. Where/how could I find replacements for those parts? Is it something I can just rig up any way, or are there specific parts I need to use?

I'm so ready to finish this thing already. Thanks in advance for any help you guys might be able to give me.

Brandon

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
i remember i had that same problem with mine till i took out another female and male end of the chain so that would be 2 links or its consider one, dont know which but i would start there and take the tensioner off first so it gives u some more room to play. it was a VERY tight fit to connect the link to the other side but over time the chain intends to stretch. After i finally got the chain to connect then i would slowly start making adjustments to the tensioner to make it pretty tight but not extremely tight. it solved my issue with the chain bunching in the motor sprocket and kept my chain from coming off the rear sprocket, then after a few runs u can re adjust the tensioner to ur likings after the chain expands. Put some double d 40 on the tensioner roller so it was easier for it to roll and all over the chain. But i do know that some vendors do sell half links if thats all you need. Also for ur master link clip make sure the curvy part, while ur moving forward, goes towards the motor sprocket. If opposite side it could possibly pop it off. Had that happen to me as well.

For the fuel leak, do you have the red rubber gasket connected to the fuel shut off lever? Id get some thread sealant and seal the threads so it stops the leak on the underside of the tank. Had that leak with my first motor. Im sure you can also somehow put some of that on the underside of the tank where the studs come out because vibrations from the motor can make them loose. Looks like thats what happened to my current gas tank so i will be rebuilding my bike.

For the screw on the clutch lever you can always find another small screw with same size threads to screw it into the clutch arm to keep the clutch cable from sliding off. Did that to my buddies bike after he over tightened and snapped that off lol

i hope my experiences can help you work out yours

wing nut

Aug 9, 2012
warren p.a.
welcome to the forum
sounds like you'll be making a trip to the hardware store
while you're there pick up an in line fuel filter & some lock tite
wise investments for your new hobby
welcome & have fun

brandonkreisler

Jul 6, 2013
California
Thanks so much for your replies.....I was just thinking...

Since I only need half a link of chain removed, can I just remove one female (inside) link, then discard the master link until the chain is stretched and broken in, and instead, for the time being, just use the chain breaker to reconnect the links while still on the bike? I could always go back and add the female I removed and reconnect the chain with the master link in the future; I would just need a chain breaker to do anything with it until I put it back on...I think...right? Sorry if I sound stupid, but the only experience I've had with chains up to this point was using them to cut wood.