From clearwater florida

GoldenMotor.com

cexcells

Sep 28, 2009
Florida
I got done with my first bike that i had assistance with - but its a custom beach cruiser with 144 spokes, white wall tires, all chrome parts, 2 feet ape handle bars and a 80 cc motor. I finally got it up and running yesterday but the dang chain snapped in less than a mile - im waiting on a heavier duty chain now - is there any suggestions?

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Nice. The bars are off the hook.
A spring loaded chain tensioner, used along with the tensioner in the kit may help.
They dampen chain vibration.
Several members have built them from an old derailleur or similar devices.
Other than that, it's checking the basics like chain alignment, chain length (your looks a bit too long), installing the rear sprocket with minimal wobble, etc.

Last edited:

davearoy

Apr 25, 2009
Lakeland, Florida
Very nice build. Your chain looks to long, you might need to take out a couple of links. If you are not using a heavy duty chain, you can get some from the farm supply store "Tractor Supply". You may have to do Google search to find a local store. The chain tensioner should have a nice flow for the chain to run smoothly. Check on several of the bikes pics on this site, and you will see what I mean. Good Luck and welcome to our forum site, every one here is very knowledgeable and helpful. We here in Florida are working on a Florida Rally get together. If you are interested in being put on the email list contact me at [email protected]

Dave Lakeland, Florida

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I got done with my first bike that i had assistance with - but its a custom beach cruiser with 144 spokes, white wall tires, all chrome parts, 2 feet ape handle bars and a 80 cc motor. I finally got it up and running yesterday but the dang chain snapped in less than a mile - im waiting on a heavier duty chain now - is there any suggestions?

Total kill on the build !...I love it !....As far as the chain goes ....like everyone else has said it might be too long ....and a tensioner is VITAL !...The kit you aquired may have given you the regular bicycle chain....if so you need to upgrade to the 415 chain...it's much thicker ....again,AWESOME build !

Laters,
Salty.shft.

cexcells

Sep 28, 2009
Florida
thank you everyone - i am going to call that guy now and see if he can fix my chain - you guys are really helpful and i appreciate all the advice. - ill let you know when its back up and running

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You asked for advice and I'll try not to sound too critical....but please be careful with those ape hangers and extended fork. The stability of your bike is less than desirable with that set up. Ride careful and know that you will not have optimal control of your bike, especially at speed. I'll admit, it looks cool, but not the best setup for a safe ride.
Tom

markeatmark

Jun 17, 2009
jacksonville NC
I purchased the chain tool from Lowes.$29.00 . it will get the job done. the $5.oo chain tools WMart dont work at all the end of the tool will brake off. Bmx chain works well. That bike is killer Man

cexcells

Sep 28, 2009
Florida
Yeah i bought a cool tool on ebay for like 35 but the tip broke so i need another one - im thinking about running this with out a chain tensioner - because the one it came with seems so crappy - maybe i'll get a better one but ill have to wait til my replacement tip comes in. Thanks for the comments about my bike - and yes it is a little more difficult to ride with the long handle bars but im used to it that way - i definatly wouldnt try to ride control it with the steering wheel cause that would be suicidal but the handle bars arent that bad -and the bent for just lowered the front end about inches - i like the ride its very smooth and with the cloud nine seat its a joy to ride even by pedaling.