Chainsaw in frame build

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
GREAT, and a big thanks....checked the faq on J.S. calculator...and put in right stuff on right places, and got some changes, and YOURE RIGHT!!
Then it gets more easy, the motor> jackshaft is already done, and then it seems that a normal "crank"sprocket, 40-50 teeth will be okay to get my goals! Just out for a check tomorrow, and pick up some parts! (did throw away a cassette gear bike yesterday, after just picking of some small stuff......but no sprckets! GRRR)
You're welcome.

I'm pleasantly surprised. Usually, it takes more than two jackshafts to properly gear a chainsaw engine.

The next hurdle is making the engine quiet. Maybe a long hose, a homemade muffler from a tin can stuffed with steel wool?

Last edited:

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
I bet on it too......and my calcs did say some quite big rear sprocket in need.......but well, sprocket 53 and 56 T, are in house now........
Quiet??? he,he. Some loud it should be....have just put on a s.steel 1" pipe, with flattend end (aka fishtail).....but wanna check it out first, if to loud, VW bug (the old one) have original some small diameter nice inserts to put into a pipe....

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Then are even new sprockets in house. Suzuki TS50 rear wheel (54T) and jackshaft sprocket a 10T. These seemed to align pretty easy.....but didnt!
The rear sprocket was 2mm bigger center than the hub, and the boltholes was a little out of range for the spokes. Made up a adapter, welded & redrilled the boltholes, and should then fit straight on. Uses standard 420 chain.

Best advice: Buy the sprockets/adapters made for a bicycle by our vendors!
Then it will possible fit, and you dont need time to do mechanical changes!!
Prices is not so different, and is just bolt-on..... but, because livin´in another country (far away), it takes time to get parts from ex. US....and i just wanna do something now......try to use whats in near, i´ll need to do some mechanical work, even if i didnt wanted..... ;-)

scratg

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
How the driveline did go.
The Suzuki sprocket at rear wheel fastened in similar as to standard kits. Rubber
cushions both sides against spokes, and bolted trough !/2 moon steel retainers inside the spokes. Adapter to get the chain sprocket to stay fit against the hub on outside of spokes..
The 10T jackshaft front sprocket is bolted on, and chain length is in work. A chain tensioner is to be fitted.....

Attachments

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Your sprockets and pulleys make a 27:1 gear ratio.

At 10,000rpm, speeds of 28.6mph.drn2

At 12,500rpm, speeds of 35.8mph.xct2

To go faster, change your 7.5" pulley to a smaller or

change your crank pulley to a larger one.

If you do changes, a smaller jackshaft pulley will be less likely to contact your right leg.

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
I know, 5-7 heaven.... did get some other front jackshaft sprockets too.. When mount i´d fixed an adapter it sits on, fast and easy change!
Also got a 6,5" pulley on the right side to put on jackshaft if necessary to get a better ratio! But for the testdrive............i think this is enough (yet!)

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Then, the drivesystem are finish,mounted. Used a KTM chaintensioner, on a homemade clamp on the chainstay. This tensioner are a high-grade nylon wheel, with a raised center to align the chain, w/ rollerbearing. Both chaintension checked, and true tested for function!

Attachments

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Thanks,curtisfox!
The taillight is the bikes original cycle one (just reflex) but drilled a hole in the back, and put in a small 5/10w bulb. Well, high angle, but shows on distance.... ;-)

With a tensioner on that place, the chain want interfere with the chainstays, and clears quite enough!

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Fixed the throttle now. When seeing the minibike throttle handle i byed, then this was dumped! I wanted an 2 lever , and they wasnt so easy to find at the moment.........but, it was stainless steel, and alu in the garage.....

Levers function well, right on for the thumb use, and slides very easy,perfect!

Attachments

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Quite near the end of this build. If the weather keeps up, and some snow & ice disappear tomorrow, i´m gonna take a testride,,,,
Found its space for even wider tires, but who delivers 27,5 x 3 (62 -584), or similar??

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Then the first testride is done!!! Not quite compilcated, without trouble.....
Some screws loosened, a pedal was forgotten to tighten, and worst, the ignition coil got loose. As written in posts #114 , i did one fault..cutted loose the coil/ignition part of sewing bottom case. The electronic coil part loosened again, and ignition get out of the setting, with coil scrubbed against the flywheel. But, all of, the bike run quite steady, and speed? In moment on icy snow, i just checked it up to 20mph. Brakes okay, runs without big shakin´, an got more power to go. Gearing seems to be on the belived spot, about full speed at 35-40mph.

Pic: